Are There Bad Side Effects to Micro-needling?

I want to reduce the appearance of my acne scars. I would like to try Micro-needling.

Microneedling Safety

When done with proper technique , there are few reasons that Microneedling would elicit unfortunate side effects. Even pinpoint bleeding that can occur with a deeper treatment , usually only leaves redness and mild inflammation for 2-4 days max!    This treatment can offer fantastic outcomes for  texture, fine lines and acne scars!!

Treat Acne Scarring with Microneedling

Microneedling has been around for a long time but is finally starting to gain traction in the US. I like to describe this in terms of roller needles, pen needles and big-box needles. There are pros and cons of each one. And any procedure can have side effects, so please make sure you learn as much as you can and that the provider is skilled — hopefully at a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon’s office.

Rolling needles are the oldest form of needles, and there are many kinds. This procedure was popularized by a plastic surgeon in Cape Town, South Africa: Dr. Des Fernandez, who has taught the procedure and shown its effectiveness for many years. His company, known as Environ, is one of the market leaders with rolling needles. They can be done at home with small needles or in an office with larger needles. The procedure is very technique dependent and, if done correctly, can rejuvenate the skin and treat some mild acne scarring. It can be a fairly bloody office procedure, but it can work with several sessions.

Microneedle pens use a group of motorized needles to deliver into the skin. Names such as DermaPen, MicroPen and others are popping up in offices for the same indications as the rollers. There is still some blood after the treatment, but with a series of treatments the skin can do well. Another pen, although not the same, is called AquaGold, where needles are inserted into the skin with a canister apparatus so products can be applied during the needling — a great concept.

Then there are the big-box needles. These are typically radiofrequency-tipped needles that can penetrate the skin at various depths to have an effect on the deep layers of the skin. Bleeding is minimized as the RF current not only helps with rejuvenation or scars, but also helps coagulate the vessels in the area, so bleeding is not a major concern. RF needles are colorblind, so all skin colors can be successfully treated. Devices such as the EndyMed Intensif and the Lutronic Infini are the leaders in the US with big-box needles, and these treatments are very popular in Asia. Fewer treatment sessions are usually needed.

So what else can go wrong? These things are putting little holes in the skin and sometimes applying product to the skin. The products themselves should be sterile or at least free from allergens that can cause rashes and contact dermatitis — something we are seeing more and more when these are being performed in offices that have no clue as to what they are doing.

And with any procedure, the risk of pigment changes, although not big with needling, still can occur. Scarring has been reported, so once again, make sure that the provider is skilled and knows what they are doing.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Side Effects of Microneedling

Microneedling is a superficial process and therefore fairly safe. Some side effects may include: Pigment loss or increase, skin infection, some bleeding at the treatment site, redness, and inflammation. This is a great treatment when combined with PRP (platelet rich plasma) especially to combat acne scars.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

Love love love dermapen

I have brought in many treatments for acne scarring and dermapen is my favorite.  I and many of my patients have skin with pigment and peels or laser resurfacing treatments can actually do more harm than good sometimes.  Dermapen is the best thing I have found for acne scarring with no downside.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Acne scar treatment

Micro needles in skilled hands have some noted benefit on post acne scars. Its benefit is somewhat limited and may need to be repeated. A greter benefit is obtained with new fractional lasers either CO2 based or Erbium like the Sciton Profractional. Such lasers have ashort recovery of about 3-4 days and benefit greater than obtained with repeated needles. The most effective technology remains the old fashion surgical dermabrasion with wire brush or diamond head. Not to be consfused with microdermabrasion which has minimal if any benefit on scars even if repeated many times. Ask your physician who is familiar with pertinent technologies to guide you through all the marketing hype we see around us.

Julian Henley, MD
Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microneedling for Acne

Microneedling is a wonderful treatment for acne scarring.  I have seen great results from deep microneedling as far as skin tone and skin texture are concerned.  There are few side effects from the treatment when performed by an experienced practitioner.  To maximize the benefits of microneedling, I would recommend combining it with a PRP treatment or platelet rich plasma.  This involves a quick blood draw and then isolating out the growth factors in your own plasma.  These growth factors are then placed back on the skin for additional treatment benefits.  Best of luck!

Microneedling Great For Acne Scars

Microneedling is one of the best ways to minimize acne scars. We have many patients in my office that have had tremendous success with the Dermaroller treatment. As with anything, there may always be risks associated but those risks are drastically minimized if you go to the right place. We have performed hundreds of Dermaroller treatments without any negative side effects. Experience is key and a professional medical clinic will ensure that any negative side effects such as infections will not happen.

Side Effects of Microneedling

Microneedling can rejuvenate the skin and with deeper treatments can improve scars as well.  Side effects include localized irritation and pin point bleeding.  Microneedling is best when combined with PRP which infuses platelet rich proteins into the skin to improve the overall results significantly.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Side effects of MicroNeedling

Micro-Needling is a wonderful treatment for treating acne scarring.  The treatment should be performed in a qualified physicians office by a trained medical professional.  Treated correctly the side effects are very low.  The most common is redness, swelling, and possible bruising. You will also feel like you have a bad sunburn for a few hours. Overall Micro-Needling is relatively safe with minimal side effects. As with any medical treatment it is best to be assessed in person. For the best results you will most likely need at least 6 treatment. The treatments should be spaced at least 4 weeks apart. Good luck with your treatments. 

Skin Pen - Microneedling

This treatment has very minimal risk involved when the treatment is being performed by a trained and knowledgeable specialist.  Our practice has seen great results in scar improvement, textual improvements and many other areas of concern.  It is a highly popular treatment with little downtime, but long results.  

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon