Are There Bad Side Effects to Micro-needling?

I want to reduce the appearance of my acne scars. I would like to try Micro-needling.

Treat Acne Scarring with Microneedling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Microneedling has been around for a long time but is finally starting to gain traction in the US. I like to describe this in terms of roller needles, pen needles and big-box needles. There are pros and cons of each one. And any procedure can have side effects, so please make sure you learn as much as you can and that the provider is skilled — hopefully at a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon’s office.

Rolling needles are the oldest form of needles, and there are many kinds. This procedure was popularized by a plastic surgeon in Cape Town, South Africa: Dr. Des Fernandez, who has taught the procedure and shown its effectiveness for many years. His company, known as Environ, is one of the market leaders with rolling needles. They can be done at home with small needles or in an office with larger needles. The procedure is very technique dependent and, if done correctly, can rejuvenate the skin and treat some mild acne scarring. It can be a fairly bloody office procedure, but it can work with several sessions.

Microneedle pens use a group of motorized needles to deliver into the skin. Names such as DermaPen, MicroPen and others are popping up in offices for the same indications as the rollers. There is still some blood after the treatment, but with a series of treatments the skin can do well. Another pen, although not the same, is called AquaGold, where needles are inserted into the skin with a canister apparatus so products can be applied during the needling — a great concept.

Then there are the big-box needles. These are typically radiofrequency-tipped needles that can penetrate the skin at various depths to have an effect on the deep layers of the skin. Bleeding is minimized as the RF current not only helps with rejuvenation or scars, but also helps coagulate the vessels in the area, so bleeding is not a major concern. RF needles are colorblind, so all skin colors can be successfully treated. Devices such as the EndyMed Intensif and the Lutronic Infini are the leaders in the US with big-box needles, and these treatments are very popular in Asia. Fewer treatment sessions are usually needed.

So what else can go wrong? These things are putting little holes in the skin and sometimes applying product to the skin. The products themselves should be sterile or at least free from allergens that can cause rashes and contact dermatitis — something we are seeing more and more when these are being performed in offices that have no clue as to what they are doing.

And with any procedure, the risk of pigment changes, although not big with needling, still can occur. Scarring has been reported, so once again, make sure that the provider is skilled and knows what they are doing.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Microneedling can be painful

I really like microneedling. Today there are many devices that do microneedling but to be honest, I like the feel of my own hand applying the necessary pressure of a dermroller on the skin. No machine can beat the feedback of the human hand. It is a great treatment to help improve acne scars, tighten skin, build collagen. It can't take the place of a C02 laser in my experience but it is a great tool. It can be painful, and you should have pinpoint bleeding from the procedure. 

Where can things go wrong:

- starting with too much depth of the needles

- applying unsterile products after the treatment

- bad post-procedure care

- pain during the procedure

Sameer Bashey, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Vivace Microneedling may be your answer

At my practice, we use both the microneedling pen (Skin Stylus) and the Vivace Laser System that combines microneedling with thermal energy (heat) to bring out even better results for acne scarring.  I have seen phenomenal results.  Side effects are probably slight sunburn feel if any.  Also be careful...not all microneedling pens can be autoclaved.  Our Skin Stylus is autoclavable (the only one out there that can be) so this sterilizes it in between patients to elimination infection and cross-contamination.  With the Vivace you have your own disposable microneedling piece so it is always safe.  I think you will love microneedling for your acne scars.  You can also combine it with your own plasma (platelet-rich plasma) and microneedle your own growth factors from your own blood to even heal the scars faster.  

What side effects can occur after microneedling?

Microneedling works by injuring the skin in such a way that it responds by producing new collagen, which in turn plumps the skin and restores volume. It works well for texture, lines, volume loss and acne scarring

At my Vancouver cosmetic surgery practice we use rolling needles by Environ and have seen phenomenal results in staff and patients alike. The best part: microneedling is a fairly low-risk procedure with side effects tending to be few and far between.

The rolling equipment should be sterile and personal (each patient should have his or her own roller, and these should be autoclaved before each session) and the face should be cleaned and prepped before treatment to avoid cross-contamination or spread of bacteria. Patients with active acne should consider alternative options before treatment as dermal rolling can easily spread bacteria over the skin, potentially causing breakouts. Patients prone to cold sores should let their treatment provider know so that a preventive prescription can be given prior to the session.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microneedling Safety

When done with proper technique , there are few reasons that Microneedling would elicit unfortunate side effects. Even pinpoint bleeding that can occur with a deeper treatment , usually only leaves redness and mild inflammation for 2-4 days max!    This treatment can offer fantastic outcomes for  texture, fine lines and acne scars!!

Microneedling Great For Acne Scars

Microneedling is one of the best ways to minimize acne scars. We have many patients in my office that have had tremendous success with the Dermaroller treatment. As with anything, there may always be risks associated but those risks are drastically minimized if you go to the right place. We have performed hundreds of Dermaroller treatments without any negative side effects. Experience is key and a professional medical clinic will ensure that any negative side effects such as infections will not happen.

Side Effects of Micro-needling

One of the beauties of micro-needling is that there are essentially no side effects. It is perhaps one of the most effective treatments for acne scarring. It is important to not perform the procedure if there is active acne as this could result in infection. You can expect your face to look mildly sunburned for a day or two after the procedure. Deeper needling, which we term medical needling involves topical anesthetic and will create a longer-lasting sunburn look. It also is more affected for deeper scars.

Microneedling after Effects

The process of microneedling triggers new collagen production by means of injuring the target skin. This will in turn plump up the skin and even restore its lost volume. Microneedling also works for improving skin lines and texture as well as acne scarring. What makes microneedling excellent is that it is a procedure with low risks for after effects or side effects.

That said, some possible adverse effects could be experienced due to other issues related to microneedling such as the roller itself or the electrical reciprocating electrical tool.  Both devices  should always use  sterile needles for each patient. Moreover, the face should always be cleaned prior to treatment. Making sure that the roller is sterile and the face is clean would help in avoiding bacteria spread as well as cross-contamination. In addition, depending on the patient’s skin type, breakouts could also appear. For instance, if you have active acne, you may want to wait out before trying out a microneedling procedure or you can also look for other options altogether since microneedling will just spread out the bacteria to other parts of your skin causing further breakout.

Eclipse Micropen is the most advanced & safest micro-needling device available

Almost every procedure has some risk involved, however microneedling has very few true side effects. It's a superficial injury to the epidermis and superficial dermis. After the procedure, you will have some redness and possibly some tenderness to the area. This usually resides in about 24 to 48 hours at the most. I think it is a good treatment for any type of scarring including acne scars. 

Charles M. Boyd, MD
Birmingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Not-So Bad Effects of Microneedling

Side effects of microneedling include redness, crusting, soreness, tenders, and peeling. All of these potential side effects subside within a day to a week depending on how aggressive the treatment may be. There is also a minimal chance of persistent erythema, which gives the skin a red patchy appearance.