Possible Treatment for Dettol Burn Scar on Face?

Hello there, Just some background on my problem. About 3.5 weeks ago, I used some Dettol on my face (stupid idea). It burned me, leaving a dark circular mark. About 3 days after the incident, the skin peeled away and the underlying skin looked normal, resembled the rest of my face. About 4 days later I noticed the mark returned, it was fainter though. For the last 2.5 weeks I've been using Bio-oil on the mark. I was wondering what I should do next? Should I leave the mark alone? Will it go away itself? Thanks!

Doctor Answers 4

Post burn treatment to avoid a scar

It appears that you had a first or, at worst, a second degree chemical burn. The most frequent consequence is a pigmentary alteration - either depigmentation (a white spot) or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (a dark spot). You will most probably not have a scar. The best advice at this time is to stop putting anything on it except an high SPF sunblock every day to avoid the pigment changes. If they do occur, consult your dermatologist before seeking home remedies which may worsen the problem.

Miami Dermatologic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Treating burns

I am not able to give you a recommendation based on the photo shown. Most likely, if it is a first or second degree burn, it will heal on its own without scarring. Depending on your skin type, you may however develop darkening of the skin after the burn, called post inflammatory Hyperpigmentation. This can be prevented by use of sunblock and Retin A and bleaching creams. My advice is to consult with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. Good luck.

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 153 reviews

Burn to face

It is difficult to tell from your photo, but I would go for a consult with a plastic surgeon to be evaluated. SInce it has healed, you may need nothing at all.  Sometimes nothing is done except to watch it. Sometimes if the burn is deep silicone sheeting or other topical agents are used to treat the scar.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Treatment of chemical burn scar to face.

I would seek care by a professional such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Over the counter preparations with silicone and sun block may be beneficial.

Use of bleaching agents and steroids should be montiored and prescribed by a medical professional.

I am not a fan of mederma, aloe vera, vitamin E, etc.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 82 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.