Blepharoplasty Recovery Time?

How much recovery time is needed after a blepharoplasty?

Blepharoplasty recovery time - View many photos

Finding a very skilled plastic surgeon will be the best way to have the most comprtable recovery period and the fastest healing.

Most people take a week or two away from work depending on the kind of work they do, and whether or not they want to reveal their surgery to others.  Bruising can be camoflauged, but minor swelling can distort the eye shape during the recovery period. Some patients feel that glasses can help to hide minor swelling.

The most important thing to remember is that you want a natural looking result for the long term. take your time as you search for the right plastic surgeon for you.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time

Since everyone heals differently, recovery time from a blepharoplasty varies from patient to patient. Generally, recovery time is about a week – However, bruising may last longer. Talk with your facial plastic surgeon to discuss your individual situation.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery recovery

Recovery time following blepharpoplasty varies depending upon the patient and the extent of the surgery. In a simple upper lid blepharoplasty with skin and only mild amounts of fat being addressed, the recovery is relatively quick. Quick means that you will feel well in a few days but, you can expect bruising and some discoloration of the incision to last longer.
Unless your lower eyelid problem involves only too much fat, lower lid surgery that involves skin or lid tightening tends to have a longer recovery period. You will feel well shortly after surgery, but, swelling and discoloration will last significantly longer than the upper eyelid surgery. Makeup can be applied within a week of surgery, but, if the surgery is extensive, you will have changes that can take several weeks to subside.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Recovery

Blepharoplasty recovery is quite varied. It is greatly dependant on which lid is done, or, if both eyelids are done. The upper lids are usually a breeze. Sutures are out in 3-5 days and you can put make-up on to camouflage the usually mild bruising. The lower lids take longer to return to normal, and the recovery can be prolonged. In spite of this, most people are back to most normal activities in less than 2 weeks. The need for drops and adjustment of computer screens to a larger size may persist for many weeks. I had upper and lower blepharoplasty. I was back at work in less than a week with camouflage. I had the computer adjusted and had some problem reading for 2 weeks. I was using various drops and massaging the area for several months. I had some dysesthesia (abnormal sensation) of one cheek for about a year. None of this, however, slowed me down. I saw patients and went about my normal activities except as noted from about 4-5 days after surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Average recovery time for Asian eyelid surgery is 1 week

Generally speaking, we recommend that our patients take 1 week off to recover so that they can heal properly. The stitches come out on Day 5, but swelling and bruising can last up to 2 weeks. Following that, the tiny incision lines/scars will take many months to subside, but are typically not noticeable. Keep in mind that the recovery will be different for each individual based on various factors.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Recovery Time?

Recovery time differs from patient to patient, different people heal at different rates. Generally, about 70% of the swelling and bruising is gone after one week.  About 90% of the swelling and bruising is gone after two weeks.  After two weeks, it is often difficult to tell that the patient has had eyelid surgery.  

To help recovery and minimise bruising/ swelling: cold packs can be used, sleep on raised pillows, use eye ointment such as witchazel.  This needs to be applied just before you go to bed and a mild antibiotic such as chloramphenicol can be used to lubricate your eyes are night.  

Recovery time for blepharoplasty

The recovery time for blepharoplasty (whether 2 or 4 eyelids) is approximately 2 weeks. However, results improve over several months. The final results can be seen at about 1 year. 

Blepharoplasty Recovery

The recovery from facial surgery is generally rapid. Some swelling and bruising is appropriate.
Sutures are typically removed five days after eyelid surgery. Absorbable sutures will dissolve on their own and do not need to be removed.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty recovery

Recovery after eyelid surgery diaries to some degree person to person and also if you have upper and lower lids done as opposed to just one or the other.  Expect some mild discomfort and swelling for a few days and bruising that can last a few weeks.  Most patients can hued the bruising with makeup at about one week to ten days.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Healing time varies

You can start showering and shampooing normally the second day after surgery. Don't drive until your vision isn't blurry (because sometimes swelling may affect your vision). You can start working out again in a couple of weeks

I generally advise patients not wear make-up for the first two weeks after surgery. When you start putting on makeup again, don't use any products that are very dark because pigments can permanently darken incision lines. However, it's best to ask your surgeon because they might have different advice.