Best Laser Treatment for Under Eye Bags?

I have always had "bags" under my eyes. Will any of the laser techniques work?

Choose the right laser to suit your own needs

There are several good lasers (Erbium, CO2 & Fraxel) on the market which can tighten the skin, remove irregular skin pigmentation and improve wrinkles. It's important that the right laser is used by an experienced surgeon, otherwise the skin can become too tight, causing the eyelid to pull down or roll outward. Often a blepharoplasty has to be performed in conjunction with laser resurfacing in order to remove the bulging fat bags. This combined technique can yield best results to achieve an overall enhanced appearance. 

I hope you find this helpful.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Options for Under-Eye Bags

Laser treatments can reduce the appearance of under-eye bags. Yet the best solution is usually blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), which involves removing excess skin from around the eyes. The tissue will be tightened, and it’s possible that small pockets of fat will also be removed during the operation. These modifications can result in the significant reduction or even complete removal of bags underneath the eyes. Injectable fillers such as Teosyal Redensity II or Restylane 

are extremely popular for those not yet ready for blepharoplasty. Consult a qualified facial plastic surgeon in person for the option that is best for you.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not really

The optimal treatment for lid "bags" is eyelid surgery or a blepharoplasty.  Lasers will tighten the lower lid skin and perhaps leave then shiny but will not address the underlying fat that is bulging.  The only approach is eyelid surgery to sculpt the bulging fat away and leave a refreshed appearance. 

Jeffrey S. Rosenthal, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Bags

It is hard to answer this question without a picture.  You simply may need a small amount of filler to improve your bags.... There are a wide range of causes for lower lid bags and each should be approached differently.  Please find an experienced surgeon to help you make the right decision.

DR Z

Chad Zatezalo, MD
Rockville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty is the treatment of choice for under-eye bags

Hello!

Lower eyelid bags are caused by fat protruding underneath the lower eyelids. Although laser treatment treatment is effective for skin tone and textural improvements, laser has no effect on the protruding eyelid fat. Lower blepharoplasty involves a hidden incision on the inside surface of the eyelids which renders scars invisible. Through these small incisions the protruding fat is either removed or repositioned to fill the tear trough indentation. Surgery is performed under light general anesthesia and down time is only a few days. 

All my best,

Dr. Rad

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Best Lasers for Under Eye Area

The two best lasers for under eye wrinkles are the Fraxel laser and the eMatrix with the special piece for the under eye area.  I have been using these lasers for several years and I have found great results in texture and tone and under eye wrinkles with minimal down time.  I also combine these lasers with Botox for the crow's feet and fillers like Restylane and Belotero for the under eye area.  Please consult an expert in this delicate eye area for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Combo approach

In my hands the best results are obtained with a combination of the PDL or a similar low wavelength ~ 595 nm for vascularity followed by a fractional ablative laser such as the CO2 10,600 nm or the Erb:Yag 2,940 nm. The latter will help tighten the skin modestly. 

See below for other options for orbital rejuvenation:

For smile lines (around the eyes) and forehead wrinkles, at your age, strategically placed botox. For the dark circles you really need a good facial analysis and physical exam to determine the cause as different causes lead to different treatments.

For example, in  my hands, lax skin =  laser resurfacing

Orbital fat prolapse =  transconjunctival blepharoplasty with fat repositioning, possibly autofat transfer to the face vs. synthetic filler

Deep nasojugular groove =  possible mid face lift

Festoons =  classic blepharoplasty with orbicularis work and possible skin pinch

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser or fillers

If your bags are due to lax skin, then a laser skin tightening treatment may help. You can also consider injectable fillers.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Best Laser treatment for under eye bags

Treatment for under eye bags vary depending on the severity of the bags. Also, some people confuse under eye bags for hollows under eyes, so the treatments vary. 

Without a picture it is difficult to say which would be ideal for you. Laser treatments are generally great for under eye skin that is becoming 'creapy' and 'wrinkly'. The laser causes damage to the skin which in turn stimulates it to repair itself and while doing so, activates skin cells to produce more collagen and makes it appear more youthful and tighter. (see my before and after gallery- there is a picture of fat transfer with under eye laser)

Other options include fillers and surgical options. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Laser resurfacing and lower eyelid blepharoplasty - Los Angeles

Laser skin resurfacing can correct loose skin, but cannot remove under eye bags. I combine blepharoplasty with laser resurfacing. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS