23 years old, have had gynecomastia since teenage years. Was wondering what type of procedure I would need? (Photo)

Hi, i have gyno, although i was overweight durring my middle school & high school years (200-226lbs) i have since lost a considerable amount of weight, now weighing 180lbs. i am 5' 8" by the way. It would be nice to be able to finally see the definition of my lower pectorals, and to have the freedom of just putting on any shirt without wondering how noticable my chest is to everybody. My main question is would i need some type of anchor lift to acheive a normal looking defined chest.thank you

Severe gynecomastia Cleveland OH

You have severe gynecomastia,for best results you should look for a real  expert.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Type of Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi bjt,

Thanks for the post and pics. Based on your photos, you will likely get a good result with a combination of liposuction and glandular excision. Obviously you need to be examined in person to determine not only the amount of fatty and glandular excess, but also to assess the skin tone given your history of weight loss. If your skin tone is fair to good, then I would not recommend any skin excision and evaluate you 6 months after surgery to determine whether you need any skin tightening procedures.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

given your age and the amount of tissue present is every reason to believe you would have a good result. There are many reasons for results to vary. no one can promise 100% you will have the definition that you want. Find a good local board certified plastic surgeon that routinely does this operation and have a frank discussion. Whatever the outcome it would be nice to do it at this point in your life before it gets considerably worse. Good luck with it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

You will need excision of the excess breast tissue and liposuction of the chest. It is possible that you would not need skin excision but that decision is made after examination of the skin laxity.
In Cleveland, see Dr. Bahman Guyuron, Chair department of plastic surgery, Case Western Reserve university

What Type of Gynecomastia Surgery is Necessary?

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Probably not

You will need a procedure that will remove the e fess breast tissue. Depending on your skin laxity, you may not need an excision. If you do, an anchor can be avoided. Go see a board certified plastic surgeon who performs a lot of male breast reductions.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Male breast

Hola, pics helps us make a surgical plan. i agree with some of the comments, liposuction and removing some gland tissue if any may help dramatically. 

since your young i would've let skin attach with hidratation and some supplements that help skin quality.

exercise in the mean while may help.

good luck

Eduardo Mejia, MD

Other Options for Gynecomastia

You may  consider removing the fat and breast tissue with power lipo,  using a cutting cannula .The addition of smart laser can tighten the skin too. It is important to assess skin and breast elasticity. If you are a candidate,the scarring will be less.

Best of luck.

Cap Lesesne,MD

Cap Lesesne, MD

Hi, thanks for your inquiry and for your pictures, you would need to combine liposuction and gland excision.  It is very important for you to have an in person consultation so you can discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly and to make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Good luck with your PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia corretion

The main consideration is your skin tone. If you have loose skin, then you may need some type of skin removal along with removal of the excess breast and fatty tissue. I would recommend having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon that performs gynecomastia corrective surgery often and discuss what is the best procedure in your case.