Loose skin after gynecomastia surgery, Will my loose skin tighten by itself?

its been 6 weeks since my surgery it feels like i keep getting more loose skin day by day , i am 20 years old will my loose skin tighten by it self? another question i feel hard lump under my areola are they gland ?

Skin Feels "Loose" One Month Following Male Breast Reduction

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi liton2k,

Thanks for the post. At 6 weeks you are still early in the healing process. The skin continues to redrape for the first 2-3 months after surgery with final results between 4-6 months. I have my patients wear a compression vest for the first 4-6 weeks to help with minimize swelling and help skin redraping. However, this will also help once you are able to resume exercise. As for the hard lump under your areola, I will refer you to one of my posts.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Skin after surgery

Yes, the skin generally tightens after gynecomastia surgery.  The rate of skin contraction depends on the person and the technique.  I tell my patients it may take up to 6 weeks for total skin contraction.  I ask my patients to wear a garmet for 4 weeks to expedite the process.

Tim Neavin, MD

Gynecomastia

I have my patients wear a compression garment following surgery until the skin has taken up the slack.  Also, I use slim liposuction as well as taking out the tissue directly for a successful outcome.  Follow up with your surgeon as revision surgery may be needed once you are healed.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Gynecomastia

to some degree loose skin can tighten itself after liposuction, sometime excision of the xtra skin is needed if it is still redundent after 6-12 months. 

Ali Totonchi, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon