I am 14 and I think I have Gynocomastia. Will it go away on it's own? If not, what are some ways that I can get rid of it?

Normal and Adolescent Gynecomastia Concerns

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions.

Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. 
Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18. 

Gynecomastia in teen

Thank you for your question.  Depending where you are in development, there is a chance that your gynecomastia will resolve itself if you are still in puberty.  However, if you feel that your gynecomastia is severe, it is best that you see a board certified plastic surgeon who can assess your chest.

Dr. JSB

Gynecomastia in a Teenager

Hi Eman1010,

Thanks for the post. Gynecomastia is actually relatively common in boys going through puberty. In the vast majority it gets better after 2-3 years. For that reason it is uncommon to operate on teens who have had it for less time than that. However, in teens who have had it for longer, are emotionally distressed, and have no other untreated medical causes for their gynecomastia, they may be good candidates for surgery.  I will refer you to an informational page to help answer your questions in more detail.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

At 14 years of age, will gynecomastia go away on its own?

The odds are in your favor, 90 to 95% of adolescent boys that get gynecomastia see it resolve on its own within a couple of years. If it doesn't go away once you are out of puberty, surgery is the only option.In the meantime, it is very difficult for young men to deal with. You might try wearing a compression type vest under your shirt to keep a flat appearing chest. If you find gynecomastia causing emotional stress, ask your parents to take you to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia for a consultation so that you can find out what options are available to you. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Puberty

Yes, most cases of gynecomastia during adolescence will resolve on their own.  If they don't then generally surgery is the best option. 

Tim Neavin, MD