Will infrequent alcohol consumption cause gynecomastia to return?

I'm 28 years old and suffered from gynecomastia since puberty. I had surgery a few weeks ago (results are amazing!) Now that I am finally happy and cured, I'm paranoid about drinking any alcohol out of fear that my gynecomastia could return since I already have a predisposition. I exercise and eat nutritious, wholesome foods to support my health and fitness goals 6 days per week. However, on Sundays, I like to indulge. Can drinking 4-6 drinks once per week cause a recurrence?

The Lasting Effects of Gynecomastia Surgery

The #recurrence of breast enlargement is uncommon following #gynecomastia surgery. However, it can occur. If this happens, you may require further surgery in the future.The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. 
Therefore, weight gain, steroid use,recreational drug use and have hormonal conditions can contribute to a return of gynecomastia regardless of previous surgical removal and treatments. Each patient is unique and previous #results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. 

Thank you for the question.  Infrequent alcohol consumption should definitely not cause gynecomastia to return.  Excessive alcohol, which is associated with weight gain, can cause fat tissue to build up in the chest area which can appear to be gynecomastia.  Maintain a healthy lifestyle and you should be fine!

Dr. JSB

Alcohol and Gynecomastia Recurrence

Hi charmcity,

Thanks for the post. Congrats on your results.  You should be fine and not need to worry about gynecomastia recurrence. Continue to live a healthy life with a good diet and exercise and you will see that your results will improve even more!

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Alcohol and gynecomastia

Congratulations on your great surgical result.  Usually infrequent alcohol consumption will not cause gynecomastia.  It sounds like you otherwise have a healthy lifestyle.   If there is significant weight gain associated with drinking large quantities of alcohol, this might contribute to gynecomastia.

I have never heard of alcohol causing gynecomastia.  Keep up the healthy lifestyle and you should do just fine.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Alcohol affecting surgical result?

It sounds like you are doing everything right! Keep up the healthy diet and exercise and moderate occasional alcohol consumption should not affect your result, but consult with your doctor. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD