- Accutane (marketed outside the U.S. as Roaccutane) is an oral acne medication, Isotretinoin.
- Accutane is mostly reserved for severe cases of acne because of its many potential side effects.
- Accutane side effects are well publicized. Accutane has been associated with depression, thoughts of suicide and even some reports of suicide.
- Dermatologists are required to inform their patients about the side effects before treating. Additionally, Accutane can affect body organs.
- Accutane is a teratogen (can cause birth defects) so it is critical that females do not get pregnant while taking, or for many months, following Accutane therapy.
Was this guide helpful? Thanks for your feedback
Still have questions about Accutane? Ask a doctor.