Silicone scar sheets for under chin necklift scar?

Is it worth using silicone scar sheets on necklift under chin scar? How soon do you have to start using them after surgery for them to be effective?

Silicone Scar Sheets

You may begin using the sheets as soon as the wound is mostly healed (usually around 6 weeks). I don't normally have my patients use the sheets and their wounds heal very nicely. I would make sure you allow you scar to naturally heal and only use the sheets after following up with your doctor. Hope this helps.

Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scar gel for neck lift chin incision

Thanks for sharing.  Normally i do not have patients use silicone scar treatments.  However, if I do or the patient desires the silicone gel is easier to apply and conceal here than a silicone sheet.  Typically apply day after the sutures are removed and needs to be used for at 6-10 weeks depending on the situation.  Follow up with your doctor for any concerns and your wish to use scar prevention or treatment.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Scar Solutions with Silicone sheets--Add lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers

I recommend following up with your Dr. about their after care protocol following a neck lift. Any subsequent scarring can be improved with a combination of lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers. Best, Dr. Emer

Neck lift incision and silicone scar sheeting

Neck lift is a procedure to improve the contour of the sagging neck, an obvious sign of aging. 

An incision under the chin allows the surgeon to access the fat pads, muscles, and other structures that create a sagging neck line. The incision should be designed properly. I design it behind the submental crease. The incision needs to be closed meticulously. I remove tissue that has been stretched or compressed during surgery and close it in many layers. Lastly, good wound care will produce a near invisible scar. Sun protection is the most important. I like to start silicone scar sheeting 1 week after surgery. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

The silicone sheets do make a difference.

However, you need to use the sheets for many months and for at least 12 hours a day.  There are many other ways to manage an unsatisfactory scar.  Please consider posting a photo of the scar for a more detailed response.

Scar optimization

Hello and thank you for your question. Every surgeon has their own protocol.  I prefer biocornyium for my patients starting 1 week after surgery.  Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD