My right eye becomes smaller than my left eye. What is the cause and what should I do now? (Photo)

I got a viral infection on my right eye 7-8 month ago but after curing I found that my right eye becomes smaller than my left eye and the eyelid dropped. My question is - Why this happens and what should I do now ??My right eye become smaller that my left eye and eye balls also become asymmetrical ... That's look wired and disgusting .. What is the cause of of and what should I do now ????? Please Help

Doctor Answers 5

Eye gets smaller when smiling usually due to ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It appears you have right upper eyelid ptosis (droopy) which can be corrected with ptosis surgery. (The right eye may also be more sunken but difficult to tell from photo.)  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Smaller eye after viral infection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It appears as though your right upper lid is droopy. We call that 'blepharoptosis' or just 'ptosis.' There are a number of causes of this condition. You should visit with an ophthalmologist to determine which cause it might be. If no underlying problem is identified and you were my patient, I would suggest you wait a year from the time it drooped to see if it recovers before surgically lifting it.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Possible eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The drop in the eyelid can be from many different reasons which are hard to establish.  However if the eyelid stays low it can be corrected throughout surgery of ptosis.


Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

What to do for droopy eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for sharing your problem. It is not possible to determine exactly what the issues are and appropriate treatment without a comprehensive in-office evaluation. Make an appointment with an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon for detailed examination.  Good luck,

Asymmetry, right eye smaller than left

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It appears from your photograph that you have ptosis on the right. An examination by an oculoplastic surgeon can confirm a diagnosis and give you some solid information about treatment. You are a handsome man - drooping of your lid causes a sleepy look - not disgusting. This can be repaired with outpatient surgery, minimal down time - bruising maybe, but no pain. See an experienced oculoplastic surgeon who will be able to provide good results for you. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.