Lower Blepharoplasty. Too young? Are there better options? Fillers/lasers? (Photos)

I have had a couple surgeries before. During these consults I mentioned a lower lid Blepharoplasty. The doctor stated I was too young (29/30). I am now almost 32 and still so completely bothered by my lower lids/bags. I seem to always look exhausted and look older than my real age (wrinkles!). So I am looking for some honesty here. When is a good age. Am I too young? Is this something that I would benefit from (look younger more rested)? Is there a better option for me ? Fillers? Lasers??

Lower blepharoplasty

You are not too young for a lower Blepharoplasty. I presume you are talking about your bags and not wrinkled skin. Filler is an excellent choice. Redensity II seems to be the best as it causes less swelling.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are not too young

A lower lid blepharoplasty with fat transposition should improve this. I suspect others in your family have had the same issue.  Wrinkles when you smile are tough.  If the skin is treated with a carbon dioxide laser at the time of the blepharoplasty, it may improve some.  However, you might need some maintenance of the lids with Pelleve or the PicoSure laser.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty at young age

You can have blepharoplasty at age 30 as long as you have fat in the lower eyelids with excess skin.  You have both.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too young for lower blepharoplasty?

In general, your age is a minor factor in the overall decision making for cosmetic eyelid surgery. Much more important is your sculptural appearance - meaning the relationship between cheeks and lower lids and how these region transition into each other. 
From your photographs, I would not recommend fat removal; filling of the hollow areas beneath what appears puffy will provide you with a better look. Filling can be done using your own fat or injectable fillers. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid bags

It does look like you have some lower lid bags which might benefit from a blepharoplasty. Everyone has lines when they smile.  The lower lids skin would need to be evaluated in person.  Good luck.

Age and blepharoplasty

Typically, younger patients who inquire about blepharoplasty are hypersensitive about minimal aging. However, in your case, I believe the concern is real. You would benefit from lower lid blepharoplasty. The question is whether use of filler would be a starting point or surgical alternative that could be offered and this can only be assessed in a consultation. Best wishes.

Lower blepharoplasty to address tired appearing eyes

Thank you for your question and for posting photos. Lower blepharoplasty can certainly be performed in one's thirties. Certain individuals have hereditary early aging of the lower eyelids with the development of characteristic lower eyelid "bags". This results from what is known as pseudoherniation of the fat that surrounds the lower part of the eye. Individuals with hereditary early lower eyelid aging tend to notice this in their late 20s to early 40s.

In young patients and in those without excess skin, I prefer a transconjunctival approach, where the incision is made on the back surface of the eyelid (incisions are not visible) and the fat is contoured and in some cases may be transposed (moved) over the rim of the lower eyelid or into the tear troughs. 

Fillers may may also help camouflage these contours. It is difficult to make a definitive recommendation regarding surgery vs. filler based on photos alone.

The wrinkles you notice are the result of lower eyelid muscle contraction. These can be treated to some degree by very careful injection of Botox into the muscle. This will need to be repeated about every three months. Laser resurfacing or chemical peel of the lower eyelid can also help. Nothing can make these disappear permanently.

As with all procedures, it is very important that you seek out in-person consultation. Photos alone cannot give all the information necessary to recommend the best procedure(s) for your individual needs. I recommend you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon, oculopastic surgeon, or plastic surgeon who is experienced in blepharoplasty.

Josh Surowitz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too young for lower blepharoplasty

You would need an in person consultation to determine the best treatment for you, but you may be a candidate for either lower eyelid surgery or lower eyelid fillers. I suspect filler treatments alone would help quite a bit. Neither treatment would help the mild amount of wrinkling when you smile, but would help you look less tired by minimizing the appearance of the lower eyelid "bag".

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon