Can a chalazion on my eyelid be lanced at acute care?

Doctor Answers 4

Chalazion removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would not have a chalazion treated at an urgent care center. I would see an ophthalmologist or ophthalmic plastic surgeon for treatment and/or removal.

Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Where to have a chalazion treated

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This would depend highly on the experience of the physicians. It is very uncommon that a doctor at an acute care facility would have much experience in draining a chalazion. The possible complications that can result if this is done incorrectly are significant.  I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist at the very least. An oculoplastic surgeon would be even better. We see several of these a day. The cost involved would likely be the same since the same procedure codes would be billed, in case that is a consideration.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Chalazion treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Acute Care facilities are not the best place to experience ophthalmic care. These locations do not always staff an ophthalmologist. A better option is to call a local ophthalmologist and make an appointment. This is something that may be done in the office setting and some ophthalmologists may be able to provide procedural care on the same day as your visit, saving you time and expense. Best wishes for treatment.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Chalazion drainage

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An acute care center will usually refer a chalazion to an ophthalmologist for drainage.  Best of luck. 

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.