What can I do about my sunken eyes? I have tried allergy meds, I have tried various expensive creams and eye rollers. (photos)

I have had several eye muscle surgeries on the right eye, my dad also had sunken in eyes and dark circles and I suffer from anemia but even when I get my hemoglobin in a good range nothing improves. I also had a nose job when I was 17 and I don't know if I should get a second nose job in conjunction with fillers or fat grafts or injectables. Please help me. I hate it because everyone comments about how I look sick like a leukemia patient. Makeup doesn't cover it entirely.

Doctor Answers 2

What can I do about my sunken eyes

The photos you posgted have two different appearances of your eyes. Neither look "sunken" and no surgery is indicated. In one image your upper lids are low on your eye giving you a more tired appearance. This may be just the way the picture "caught" you or you may have ptosis of your upper lids. Is this the eye surgery you referred too? Creams and fillers are not going to fix anything on the images you posted. See a board certified plastic surgeon for a comprehensive evaluation. Good luck.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Sunken Eyes

You have beautiful eyes! and your nose looks fine, too! The position of the eyeball in the eyesocket is established by heredity and development. Sinus problems and orbital disease (thyroid disease most commonly causes the eye to move forward) can cause the eye to sink back in the socket or to move forward in the socket. There are procedures to build up the floor of the eyesocket after trauma (blow-out fracture), but this is not something that surgeons would do for a purely cosmetic issue. 

Dark circles may be related to the allergies, and eye-rubbing. The best advice to eliminate or minimize the circles as much as possible - would be to avoid hand-to-eye contact and do not rub the eyes. The dark, crepe-like skin is a sign of inflammation from allergies and rubbing, and/or venous congestion in the blood vessel networks under the thin skin of the eyelids. Rubbing of the eyelids and eyes can cause damage to the delicate tissues of the eyelids, and the cornea. Floppy eyelids, ptosis, mucus production, and irritation may result. 

You may want to see an ophthalmologist in your area for advice on treatment of peri-ocular allergy symptoms. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.