Will a Mini Tummy tuck do?

I don't have much skin or muscle laxity above my navel (not that I can tell at least) but it all turns for the worst from my navel down. One of my concerns is what a mini would do to my stretched out navel. Will a mini tuck address my troubled areas or would I be better off looking into a full TT?

Will a Mini Tummy tuck do?

Thank you for the question and pictures. In my practice, I would only offer you the full tummy tuck operation; any lesser operation would not end up with an outcome that you or I would be pleased with. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Mini Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck, not a mini. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck

Dear Howie,                                                                                                                                                                           Thanks for submitting your pictures. From observing your pictures, you appear to have skin and muscles laxity from the chest bone to the pubic bone.                                                                                                                        I have been in practice  for over 29 years and performed tummy tuck surgery on well over 1000 patients. Based on the experience and your pictures, I can tell you that mini tummy tuck will be an unhappy compromise and most likely  you will end up, after all, getting the full tummy tuck later on, at additional cost and double recovery time.                                                                                                                                                              Full tummy tuck will give you flat stomach, tight and youthful skin, narrower waists, improved posture and most likely you will loose weight due to the muscles tightening that will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. This procedure will be one of the best investments in yourself. It will increase your confidence , your sense of femininity and will make beach time fun again...                                                                        You have to realize that not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence and choose your surgeon wisely.                                                                 Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who perform surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with flat stomach, low scar and nice belly button.                                       Best of luck,                                                                   Dr Widder                                                                                                                                   

Will a Mini Tummy tuck do?

Thank you for your question about mini vs full tummy tuck.  You are not a candidate for a mini tummy tuck because of the amount of excess skin.  You would be very well with a full tummy tuck which would remove as much excess skin as possible and tighten your abdominal wall with the rectus plication.  To be sure, consult with one or more board certified plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in your area to discuss your options.  Hope this helps!

Mini versus full tummy tuck

The short answer is that you would only do well with a full tummy tuck.  A mini tummy tuck will leave loose muscles and not address the skin in the upper abdomen, and more importantly, the muscle laxity.  Do not let anyone sell you on a mini version of the procedure, as I can almost guarantee that the results will be unsatisfactory.  A skilled surgeon can make your navel much improved in the course of a full tummy tuck as well.
Best of luck! Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Full tummy tuck provides maximum shaping

Hi and thanks for the photos.  An in-person examination is necessary to know for sure, but you appear to be a better candidate for a full tuck.  You will get maximum balanced contouring, tightening of the abdominal wall, reshaping/resizing of the belly button, fixing of the umbilical hernia, and removal of excess skin & fat. Most mini tummy tucks will only remove lower abdominal skin & fat, possibly with tightening of the lower abdominal wall/muscles.  The excess tissue, size & umbilical hernia would not be addressed. The recovery, length of scars, etc. would be slightly more with a full tuck.  Be sure to see an ABPS certified Plastic Surgeon for more info.  Best wishes!

Will a Mini Tummy tuck do? (photos)

Good Afternoon, Thank you for your questions and your photos.  You are right, a mini tummy tuck will only address the skin from the navel down.  This means it will not change the existing navel, the skin above it and generally does not repair the underlying abdominal muscles.  Quite often the muscle repair is needed to achieve a flatter, more rejuvenated appearance.  It is best to consult with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon who will perform an exam to clarify which option will best meet the goals you have.Best of Luck, Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Variations of a mini tummy tuck

There are several variations of tummy tucks including a mini with umbilical float that allows for full muscle repair. It is worth knowing all of your options but my guess is that a full tummy tuck will give you the best result.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini or Full TT?

Thank you for your inquiry. Many people often ask me how i differentiate between a mini and a full tummy tuck. I would need to evaluate you in person but judging solely on the pictures provided, you would benefit greatly with a full tummy tuck as well as some liposuction for your flanks. You are actually an ideal candidate. Please be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to making any decisions. Regards,