Weak Chin. Would a chin implant help give me a nicer profile? (Photo)

Hello, I am 18 years old and I have quite a large overbite and a weak chin. This has always been one of my biggest insecurities since I can remember. Would a chin implant help give me a nicer profile and what would be an estimated cost?

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

A chin implant for a weak chin

A chin implant can modify your profile. It's an easy procedure with minimal downtime. Costs range from about $4000 and upward.

However, if you have a large overbite with a weak chin, then an alternative to consider is jaw bone surgery where the bone is brought forward and teeth aligned. Results between an implant and bone surgery are different, with one not necessarily being "best". If you haven't already, then speak with a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon to perform an examination and review options with you.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Chin Implant

Hi and thanks for your question and photos.  Your chin projection looks good in your photos. Even a small implant would not look good as it would give you an overprotected chin like Jay Leno.  I do get the impression that your cheeks are full and that you have a bit of a marionette line/depression where your lower cheek and chin meet that would look much better if it was filled out.  I would use an injectable filler such as Restylane or Juvederm to take care of this.  I would be happy to see you for a consultation.  Dr. Pontell

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate

A chin implant can be placed for patients who have a weak and recessive chin profile, as demonstrated in the photographs. Chin implants are placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Chin implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and can be custom carved when necessary to match patient's unique anatomy. For many examples and more information including our current price list and diagrams of the implants, please see the link and the video below

Would chin implant help with profile?

Based on your photos, I would say that the projection of your chin is pretty good and I would not recommend a chin implant for you.  An examination of you or closer up photos might be helpful to get further information about you and possibly come to a different decision however.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weak Chin. Would a chin implant help give me a nicer profile?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.