I have a very pointy chin, which is more noticeable when I smile. Could a chin implant correct this?

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Chin implant for pointy chin

Hello! If you chin is most bothersome when you smile, I would recommend trying Botox. The chin muscles can contract and cause an alteration of the chin contour if they are hyperactive, and sometimes a simple non surgical option is all that is required to improve the appearance. Surgery will typically not improve things seen only on movement. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Very pointy chin, which is more noticeable when I smile. Could a chin implant correct this?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation. If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. 

Hope this helps.

Chin

Sweetness777, no one can answer this question without adequate photos at least and of course at best an exam. You would probably benefit from either a chin implant or a chin shave; obviously an exam would be needed to tell you which. See an experienced surgeon that does "only faces" and has a lot of good photos to peruse. Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant candidate for pointy chin

The decision to perform a chin implant is made at rest, not upon animation. If there is pointy  chin at rest with adequate projection, a  Silastic pre-jowl implant can be inesrted to give only added width to the pointy chin. For more information, diagrams of the implants along with many examples, please see the video and the link below

Pointy chin

A chin that becomes pointier while smiling often is pointy in repose as well but to a lesser degree. There are a variety ways of correcting the problem which range from simply injecting some fat around the chin to shaving the bone or adding an implant. If you e-mail your pictures to one us who specialize in the is area we can help you to make a right decision.  

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

A chin implant can make a chin more round and less pointy. But you have to consider what you look like when you are non-smiling. A pointy chin can also be changed by bony reduction. Which one is best for you would require see some pictures and doing computer imaging.