Chin Implant VS. Jaw surgery? (Photo)

I have a very weak profile and am not sure if a chin implant or custom chin and jaw angle implant would do the trick i feel i need more vertical projection too,any advice?

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

chin implant versus genioplasty

A chin implant is performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure and offers a purely cosmetic advancement of the chin, in addition to adding width and vertical height. A sliding genioplasty is performed by an oral surgeon in the hospital setting under general anesthesia with an overnight hospital stay, and is much more invasive. For more information and many examples of chin implants, please see the link and the video below

hunter16, Should your bite require improvement due to orthognathic issues then you may want to consider orthognathic surgery. Should this not be an issue I much prefer a silastic chin implant to a sliding genioplasty. Less risk, better aesthetics (in my opinion) and excellent long term results. Make sure you find a surgeon who routinely performs this procedure and specializes in "only faces"; see lots of photos and hopefully get more than one opinion. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin or jaw

You may be a candidate for jaw surgery as the whole jaw and chin appear undersized.
However, since a chin implant is a relatively simple operation, it may pay to do the chin implant alone and see how you like it. It may do the trick. I would use a larger sized, silastic, extended anatomic implant.
It can be done under local anesthesia on an out patient basis. I use an intraoral approach without a visible scar

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant dilemma

Thank you for the pictures! To be quite honest with you, you are not a great candidate for chin implantation based on your pictures. My concern is your occlusion and whether or not there is a true overbite.  An orthodontist and an oral surgeon would be able to evaluate your overall jaw position, dental occlusion, as well as functional bite.  A chin implant or sliding genioplasty alone, no matter how customized you make it, will not address these other concerns which may improve your overall profile in a more cohesive way.  I strongly recommend you discuss all these other options during any consultation you go to.  Best of luck. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant VS. Jaw surgery?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles. From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles.

The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face. 
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face as discussed above.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

Hope this helps.

Chin Implant vs Orthognathic Surgery

Based on your photos, you would not be a very good candidate for a chin implant.  You already have a sub-labial sulcus (the depression between your lip and chin) which would become very deep with a chin implant.  You should visit with an orthodontist and oral surgeon to evaluate your overall jaw position and occlusion (how your teeth fit together).  The purpose would be to consider orthognathic surgery where the entire lower, upper, or both upper and lower jaw is moved.  Determining if you are a good candidate for that procedure is far too complex for this forum, but a consultation would be worth your time.

Best Regards,
Dr. A

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon