When to Stop Drinking Alcohol Prior to Surgery?

How many weeks or days do I have to stop drinking before my rhynoplasty?

One to two weeks of alcohol avoidance around the time of surgery is prudent and reasonable.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Alcohol and rhinoplasty surgery

You should stop using anything that can increase the risk of excessive bleeding during and after surgery 1 to 2 weeks before surgery.  This includes:

1.  Most herbal supplements
2.  Fish oil
3.  Non steroidal anti inflammatory medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil Motrin).
4.  Vitamin E
5.  Foods:  Alcohol, garlic

What you can take to reduce bruising and bleeding before, 2 to 7 days before and after:
1.  Arnica oral
2.  Yunnan (Chinese herb)
3.  Bromalin
4.  Vitamin K

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (ABFPRS)
Fellow American Society forLaser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS)
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Botox, Juvederm, Voluma), Galderma (Scultpra, Restylane, Silk),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)
Zeltiq( CoolSculpting)

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol abstinence

I recommend to patients to refrain from alcohol consumption completely 7 days prior to your surgery and 2 weeks postoperatively.  I also recommend refraining from all diet supplements, vitamins and homeopathic remedies unless expressly approved by me.  This is because most have unintended effects that can interact with anesthesia, and thin the blood.  I also recommend no NSAIDS, like aspirin, ibuprofen or aleve 2 weeks preop.   

Andrew Compton, MD
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol and Rhinoplasty

After performing over 3500 Rhinoplasties I have found that stopping alcohol 5-7 days before and 7 days after is the safest for the day of surgery to minimize blood loss and speed up recovery afterwards.

Eric Adler, MD
San Juan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol prior to and after surgery.

I tell patients that they should avoid alcohol the week before surgery and 2 weeks after surgery. Drinking before and after surgery can cause bruising. After the surgery if you are taking Percocet they also do not mix with alcohol. To help with healing after surgery arnica tablets are helpful.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

We recommend discontinuation of alcohol two weeks before rhinoplasty surgery.

Alcohol is a blood thinner, and since the most common complication after rhinoplasty is a nose bleed, we suggest stopping alcohol two weeks preoperative. Alcohol is completely eliminated from the blood in most by 48-72 hours postoperative, so the exact duration of cessation may be different depending on your surgeon's preference.
Hope this helps.
Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol before operation

I advise my patients to stop smoking two weeks and drinking alcohol three days before their rhinoplasty surgery Also you should stop taking any medications such as  Aspirin and Vitamins.Therefore you should consult with your surgeon for a reminder form before surgery.

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol intake

Alcohol tends to cause some dehydration and also makes you more susceptible to the side effects of anaesthesia such as nausea and headaches. A glass of wine with dinner up to 2 nights before is fine but certainly heavy drinking should be avoided at least 2 weeks before

Alcohol before rhinoplasty

In general any facial surgery including rhinoplasty the consensus is 2 weeks prior the surgery to stop drinking.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Optimal Recovery advice

Prior to surgery, I advise you discontinue drinking, at minimum, 2 to 4 weeks prior to surgery for optimal recovery.

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD