When to Stop Drinking Alcohol Prior to Surgery?

How many weeks or days do I have to stop drinking before my rhynoplasty?

One to two weeks of alcohol avoidance around the time of surgery is prudent and reasonable.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Alcohol and rhinoplasty surgery

You should stop using anything that can increase the risk of excessive bleeding during and after surgery 1 to 2 weeks before surgery.  This includes:

1.  Most herbal supplements
2.  Fish oil
3.  Non steroidal anti inflammatory medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil Motrin).
4.  Vitamin E
5.  Foods:  Alcohol, garlic

What you can take to reduce bruising and bleeding before, 2 to 7 days before and after:
1.  Arnica oral
2.  Yunnan (Chinese herb)
3.  Bromalin
4.  Vitamin K

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon (ABFPRS)
Fellow American Society forLaser Medicine & Surgery (ASLMS)
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Botox, Juvederm, Voluma), Galderma (Scultpra, Restylane, Silk),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)
Zeltiq( CoolSculpting)

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol & Rhinoplasty Surgery: Do's & Don'ts

This is very common and realistic question patients will ask at their preoperative appointment.  The answers vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon.  My recommendation is no alcohol with 48 hours of surgery.  The reason is alcohol is a diuretic (increases the amount you urinate), which could result in you presenting on the day of surgery somewhat dehydrated, potentially creating issues for the anesthesia team.  Also, having alcohol in your system at the time of surgery could interact and potentiate the anesthesia given to you.  Finally, if you routinely have alcohol of some quantity on a routine basis, depending on to what degree of consumption, this can decrease your blood’s ability to clot, and therefore should be reviewed with your surgeon prior to surgery.  Post-operatively you should never consume any alcohol while on pain medication or sleeping medication given for your post-op healing period.

This question also lends to what else should you avoid prior to surgery.  Since plastic surgery is elective, you have plenty of time to stop taking contraindicated medication before your surgery.  The most common non-prescription class of these medications is Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAID’s).  This is not an all-inclusive list, but some of the more common over the counter NSAID’s are Aspirin, Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), and Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn, and Celebrex).  There are cells in your blood called platelets that are crucial for clotting.  Every day your body removes the older ones and manufactures new ones.  NSAID’s inhibit the new platelets clotting function that are created the day you take the medication – a big problem when undergoing surgery of any kind.  Taking these over the counter medications on a daily basis prior to surgery can put you at significant risk for bleeding during or after surgery.   No NSAID’s should be taken for of a minimum of one week before surgery, and two weeks is preferable.  Again, you should discuss this with your surgeon, since many patients usually only list their physician-prescribed medications on their new patient intake forms.  Most good surgeons will give you a list of all non-prescription (i.e. over the counter) medication to be avoided, as well as the time frame before and after surgery.

Finally, Herbs and Vitamins, especially in high doses can also have the side effect of increased bleeding.  The list is extensive, and again your surgeon should be able to provide those to you in advance.  Some of the more common ones would be Vitamin E, Ginger, and Saw Palmetto.  Given the fact these are “supplements”, and not imperative to take, the best advice is to abstain from all of them for at least a week or longer, again depending on what you surgeon recommends. Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Burke Robinson, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol abstinence

I recommend to patients to refrain from alcohol consumption completely 7 days prior to your surgery and 2 weeks postoperatively.  I also recommend refraining from all diet supplements, vitamins and homeopathic remedies unless expressly approved by me.  This is because most have unintended effects that can interact with anesthesia, and thin the blood.  I also recommend no NSAIDS, like aspirin, ibuprofen or aleve 2 weeks preop.   

Andrew Compton, MD
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drinking alcohol before a rhinoplasty

For moderate drinkers with normal liver function, I simply recommend not drinking more than a glass of wine, or one beer, or one cocktail each day for the week before surgery. That level of intake will not appreciably affect your procedure, your safety or your result.

Talmage Raine MD

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Alcohol Consumption before Surgery

That's a very common question. I always recommend to my patients that they withhold from alcohol consumption for 1-2 weeks before surgery. It can cause excess bleeding which is not safe during surgeries especially a rhinoplasty. Wishing you the best in surgery and in your recovery.

David Rosenstein, MD
Boynton Beach Plastic Surgeon

When to Stop Drinking Prior to Surgery

Good question!  I ask my patients to refrain from alcohol for 2 weeks prior to surgery.  This helps to prevent post-operative bleeding.

Thomas E. Zewert, MD, PhD
Monterey Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol and Rhinoplasty

Alcohol may contribute to more bruising and swelling postoperatively, so some surgeons recommend not drinking for various amounts of time before and after surgery.  However, every surgeon is different.  I recommend talking with your surgeon and follow their protocols.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Michael A. Epstein, MD, FACS

Alcohol prior to surgery

There is no hard-set answer here. Patients should refrain from excessive alcohol for about 7- days prior to surgery and not drink after for a few days afterwards either.

Steven H. Dayan, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol & Rhinoplasty

I tell patients to stop drinking alcohol at least 2 weeks BEFORE and AFTER any surgery, including rhinoplasty. Amongst other problems, alcohol can increase risk of bleeding, interfere with healing and affect the medications that are needed during and after surgery.

It is also critical that you never drink alcohol while taking narcotic pain medications and/or Tylenol (acetaminophen), which are frequently used for pain relief related to rhinoplasty. Interaction of these medications with alcohol can be life-threatening.

Always be honest with your surgeon about any alcohol, tobacco or drug use during the surgical consultation. This will help prevent any unwanted events. And remember that everything you say to your surgeon is strictly confidential.

Jonathan Cabin, MD