What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

In general, while there is no ideal age for rhinoplasty it should be done once your nasal septum has developed fully during facial growth. In females this may be a little earlier than males but generally after the age of 17 or 18 years. This allows for proper growth of the midface and nasal structures.  The actual rhinoplasty portion of the procedure does not involve altering the septum, however if the patient were to want both I would wait until the structures have developed. In addition ideally the patient is a non-smoker, and has no vascular issues. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It would be best to wait until you have stopped growing before considering a rhinoplasty.  At 16 years, this may have happened in your case.  Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon in your country for a consultation.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

Ideal age for Rhinoplasty

Great question. Essentially there isn't so much an ideal age, as an ideal set of qualifications for the patient. Meaning as long as someone has a firm grasp on the goals, consequences and realistic expectations then they are likely an appropriate candidate for nasal surgery. This might be as young or younger than 15, or it might not be until closer to 18 for some young people. Other factors may influence the age of surgery as well, for instance if the parents or a parent is pushing a child to have surgery but the child seems unsure, then it may be best to wait. Each situation and patient is different. Hope this helps. 

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for Rhinoplasty

Thank you for this great question which many patients contemplating or undergoing this procedure are sure to wonder about. Although this is somewhat of a contentious issue, the general consensus is that elective surgery of the nose (such as cosmetic rhinoplasty) is best performed once an individual has hit puberty, and growth has stabilized. This is typically around 15-17 years of age. Careful and methodical technique is critical in all patients, especially in younger individuals, so as to prevent weakening of the nasal support mechanisms that are necessary for normal nasal growth and development. Finally, psychological maturity and healthy coping mechanisms are essential for any potential candidate considering Rhinoplasty, typically assessed by the surgeon during the consultation. 

Generally around 16 years old

Hi,

There is not definitive number here, but there are several important factors to consider. First, surgery should not be performed before a major growth spurt. If at 15, you have had your major growth spurt and are similar in size and build to your siblings or parents, it is reasonable to assume you will not grow a significant amount and be safe for surgery. Another important consideration is emotional growth and maturity. The motivation for wanting surgery and realistic goals and expectations are very important and a patient must be emotionally mature enough to commit to surgery. Generally, all of these tend to occur at around age 16. As always, it is important to find a rhinoplasty expert before committing to surgery.

Good luck,

Mehdi Sina, MD

Mehdi Sina, MD

Maturity Is the Deciding Factor

The major issue regarding timing is that the surgery should be delayed until growth is complete. For women, that is often by the age of 15. In general, it should be some time after a woman has started her period, and generally by age 15 or certainly 16, it is reasonable to go ahead. Men mature later, and for them a more appropriate age is 17 or 18.  However, the timing can be individualized based on the patient’s maturation.