What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty at 15?

Hi. It's great that you are looking for reliable information from specialists. Rhinoplasty is ideally performed after the patient has finished physically developing. The concern about performing rhinoplasty at a young age is potentially changing growth of the nose. I have found that age 15 to 16 is usually a reasonable time for surgery. There are certainly exceptions. Your parents, of course, would need to be involved in all these discussions. Good luck to you.

Jerold Olson, MD
Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

In general, while there is no ideal age for rhinoplasty it should be done once your nasal septum has developed fully during facial growth. In females this may be a little earlier than males but generally after the age of 17 or 18 years. This allows for proper growth of the midface and nasal structures.  The actual rhinoplasty portion of the procedure does not involve altering the septum, however if the patient were to want both I would wait until the structures have developed. In addition ideally the patient is a non-smoker, and has no vascular issues. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It would be best to wait until you have stopped growing before considering a rhinoplasty.  At 16 years, this may have happened in your case.  Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon in your country for a consultation.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Earliest rhinoplasty age depends on the indication for surgery

I believe that the earliest age for a rhinoplasty really depends on the reason for doing it.  If the person is only looking for cosmetic change, then waiting for complete facial growth is the best course of action.  This is based on pubertal growth pattern and the size of the patient.  In males generally 16-18 and females 14-16 years old.  Exceptions do happen though, and a rigid number is not always adhered to.  For example, if a 15 year old male is already 6'3" then it is unlikely he will grow much more to change the nasal appearance. In that case, I would have a long discussion with the patient and parent about the risks and benefits prior to proceeding but would likely proceed. 
This is a different answer than if it is for breathing issues.  If the person is having breathing issues interfering with sleep, then I will typically intervene sooner.  Occasionally someone has a severe deformity due to trauma, cleft lip, or nasal tumor and these would also be indications to operate sooner. While this is a common question, it really is up to the discretion and comfort of the surgeon. 

Andrew Compton, MD
Troy Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

Most rhinoplasty surgeons prefer to wait until a patient has completed his or her growth spurt. This means age 15 or 16 for girls, and a little later for boys. Of course, this is a generalization: it is very important to consider the individual’s emotional and social maturity level and to make sure that he/she really wants a rhinoplasty.
If you are in good physical and mental health, age is not usually the over-riding factor. Rhinoplasty in the late teens, 20's and 30's 40s is most common. Rhinoplasty in the 50s is also common. Perhaps the oldest patients for whom I have performed a rhinoplasty has been for an occasional patient in their 70s.

Daniel G. Becker, MD
Voorhees Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Age for Reshaping Your Nose with Rhinoplasty?

When is the ideal time as a young person to have a rhinoplasty? The quick answer to this question is about 16-18 years old. But with all cosmetic surgery procedures, there are several variables that help decide who the best candidates are and when the right time to operate is. For rhinoplasty, it depends on your anatomy, your degree of deformity, your ability (or inability) to breathe, your age, your level of maturity, your motivations for changing your look, and your social support (who's helping to take care of you after surgery). All of this goes into my decision making process when recommending surgery. Good luck!  -Randolph Capone, MD, FACS

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon