What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

In general, while there is no ideal age for rhinoplasty it should be done once your nasal septum has developed fully during facial growth. In females this may be a little earlier than males but generally after the age of 17 or 18 years. This allows for proper growth of the midface and nasal structures.  The actual rhinoplasty portion of the procedure does not involve altering the septum, however if the patient were to want both I would wait until the structures have developed. In addition ideally the patient is a non-smoker, and has no vascular issues. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It would be best to wait until you have stopped growing before considering a rhinoplasty.  At 16 years, this may have happened in your case.  Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon in your country for a consultation.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

Age for rhinoplasty

Dear Clau,

Rhinoplasty can be done AFTER puberty is complete. I would be happy to help you further by SKYPE consultation if you like.

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

This is a common question asked during a rhinoplasty consultation.  There are two components in answering this.  The first is the patient’s skeletal maturity (i.e. when you are no longer buying bigger shoes every 6 months!)  This varies from person to person, but in general females will finish skeletally growing earlier than males do.  There are growth centers in the nose that increase the size of the nose to stay in proportion as the body grows.  Surgery performed before the complete skeletal is complete could result in a somewhat infantile nose!

The second component in answering your question is: When is the patient emotionally mature enough to undergo rhinoplasty?  Rhinoplasty (as well as, Otoplasty and Chin Augmentation) is a very emotional surgery for patients because the surgeon is changing the appearance of the patient, as opposed to say eyelid surgery which is just turning back the hands of time to allow the patient to look as they did in the past.  The emotional maturity is more difficult to assess on patients under the age of 20, and involves both the surgeons input as well as the patient’s family and of course interviewing of the patient themselves.

At the other end of the age spectrum, there is no limit of age as to performing a rhinoplasty, as long as the patient is healthy enough to undergo general anesthesia.

Hope you found this answer helpful.  All the best!

Burke Robinson, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for Rhinoplasty

Given that Rhinoplasty is about adjusting and refining the appearance of the nose, the best time to do it is early in life to have the maximum benefit.  Before doing rhinoplasty it’s important that you’ve reached full growth of your bones, which is typically around age 18.  Having said that, some people mature more quickly and it is possible to do rhinoplasty as young as age 16.  This is surgeon dependant.  

Cory Goldberg, MD

There is no "Ideal Age" for rhinoplasty but consider carefully in the adolescent patient.

For the properly worked up patient who is a good surgical candidate, rhinoplasty can be performed at any time in adults.  Rhinoplasty is avoided in children because the nose has not completely developed and surgery may effect growth.  Since most craniofacial growth is complete by age 12 to 15, rhinoplasty can be considered in adolescents with, of course, parental consent.  Unless there are major cosmetic issues leading to teasing, insecurity and low self esteem, most plastic surgeons would opt to wait to do rhinoplasty until the patient can make the decision on their own as an adult.

In your case, I do not see major deformity that would lead to teasing or low self esteem.  Although your nose could be improved with a dorsal hump reduction, your current appearance is just not that bad.  Remember that there are potential risks and complications that can occur with any procedure.  From an emotional standpoint, these complications are tolerated better by an adult patient that made their own decision to have rhinoplasty as an adult.  There would be no opportunity to blame your parents for allowing this to happen.

Finally, as a side note, because your nose is really again "not that bad" and you look to be quite attractive, Body Dysmorphic Disorder needs to be considered.  This is defined as a mental disorder in which one cannot stop thinking about perceived flaws in appearance — these flaws would be considered minor or absent to others. The sufferer may feel so ashamed and anxious that social situations are avoided.  One question to ask a patient who I suspect of having BDD is "Do you spend alot of time looking in the mirror?"

Your beautiful!  Wait until your an adult to consider a rhinoplasty.

All my best!

Robert N. Severinac, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon