What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

In general, while there is no ideal age for rhinoplasty it should be done once your nasal septum has developed fully during facial growth. In females this may be a little earlier than males but generally after the age of 17 or 18 years. This allows for proper growth of the midface and nasal structures.  The actual rhinoplasty portion of the procedure does not involve altering the septum, however if the patient were to want both I would wait until the structures have developed. In addition ideally the patient is a non-smoker, and has no vascular issues. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It would be best to wait until you have stopped growing before considering a rhinoplasty.  At 16 years, this may have happened in your case.  Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon in your country for a consultation.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

Re: Age for rhinoplasty

There's no ideal age for a rhinoplasty as it is a highly personal decision. We have done rhinoplasty procedures on people between the ages of 15 and 75. The only considerations for younger individuals having rhinoplasty is emotional maturity. Because it is an involved surgical procedure, it is important that the patient and the family know the risks and benefits associated with every surgical procedure. This is particularly important for our teenage patients and that their motivations and expectations are appropriate. 

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty Depends on the Patient

The golden rule for rhinoplasty is to be sure that the patient has reached full physical growth. That may be anywhere from 15 to 17 for a girl and 16 to 18 for a boy. However, it can vary from case to case, as people develop at different rates. In addition, a board-certified facial plastic surgeon will also want to evaluate you psychologically. Surgically altering your nose is a permanent change and cannot be reversed. I would want to make sure that this is something you are doing for yourself and your own sense of aesthetics, rather than through peer pressure or because you are hoping to reach an unrealistic ideal. Because my training focuses on creating a more harmonious face that accentuates your natural beauty, I always meet with patients of all ages for an in-depth consultation so that they understand the full implications of the procedure, develop realistic expectations for outcome, and are happy with the results. I hope this helps

The ideal age for a rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty can be done to correct both cosmetic and medical issues.  Patients who are interested in rhinoplasty surgery should be sure that their nose has completed growing. If growing occurs after the surgery takes place, results could be compromised and complications could occur. Other than that, most adults can receive rhinoplasty surgery at any age. All the best, Dr. Berman MD, FACS

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age depends on physical and emotional maturity

Physical maturity:Only consider rhinoplasty if your growth has slowed considerably. Has your shoe sized changed recently? If so, you are not ready. The reason is that your nose may still be growing, and surgery may stunt its growth while the rest of your face continues to grow.Emotional maturity:Ensure you are undergoing surgery for yourself and not for someone else. Realize that changing your nose may not change your life or how people respond to you. Understand that perfection is not possible and that a significant improvement is a great result. Know that there is a recovery process everyone must undergo.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon