What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

In general, while there is no ideal age for rhinoplasty it should be done once your nasal septum has developed fully during facial growth. In females this may be a little earlier than males but generally after the age of 17 or 18 years. This allows for proper growth of the midface and nasal structures.  The actual rhinoplasty portion of the procedure does not involve altering the septum, however if the patient were to want both I would wait until the structures have developed. In addition ideally the patient is a non-smoker, and has no vascular issues. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It would be best to wait until you have stopped growing before considering a rhinoplasty.  At 16 years, this may have happened in your case.  Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon in your country for a consultation.

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

Maturity Is the Deciding Factor

The major issue regarding timing is that the surgery should be delayed until growth is complete. For women, that is often by the age of 15. In general, it should be some time after a woman has started her period, and generally by age 15 or certainly 16, it is reasonable to go ahead. Men mature later, and for them a more appropriate age is 17 or 18.  However, the timing can be individualized based on the patient’s maturation.

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

The ideal age for rhinoplasty is after puberty. If you had the growth spurt of puberty which is any where between 13 to 16 years of age, then you can safely undergo a rhinoplasty. 

Remember that is the ideal age but rhinoplasty can be done at any age in special circumstances, such as cleft palate noses, traumatic injury to the nose etc.

Regards

Dr. Janjua

Age for a rhinoplasty

There is some variability as to when the face and nose fully matures. In most patients, male or female, rhinoplasty can be considered at 15-16 years old.  Though in some patients, it may be wise to wait a few more years to allow things to fully develop.  It is also important to keep in mind the psychosocial effects that come with any plastic surgery. It is critical that patients understand that what it means to change the appearance of a certain part of the face/body. Also important that patients realize what the recovery will entail and what they can expect in terms of results. It is very important that parents are involved in the decision making process in all younger patients. 

Hope that helps and good luck. 

Robert Deeb, MD
Grosse Pointe Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age for rhinoplasty

It is probably best to wait for facial growth to cease (in boys around  17 / 18 years and girls around 16 years of age). This also allows for more maturity in general, especially psychologically. One can do rhinoplasty before or after these ages - I generally find that in the early 20's works best overall, but very variable!