What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

In general, while there is no ideal age for rhinoplasty it should be done once your nasal septum has developed fully during facial growth. In females this may be a little earlier than males but generally after the age of 17 or 18 years. This allows for proper growth of the midface and nasal structures.  The actual rhinoplasty portion of the procedure does not involve altering the septum, however if the patient were to want both I would wait until the structures have developed. In addition ideally the patient is a non-smoker, and has no vascular issues. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It would be best to wait until you have stopped growing before considering a rhinoplasty.  At 16 years, this may have happened in your case.  Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon in your country for a consultation.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

There is no "Ideal Age" for rhinoplasty but consider carefully in the adolescent patient.

For the properly worked up patient who is a good surgical candidate, rhinoplasty can be performed at any time in adults.  Rhinoplasty is avoided in children because the nose has not completely developed and surgery may effect growth.  Since most craniofacial growth is complete by age 12 to 15, rhinoplasty can be considered in adolescents with, of course, parental consent.  Unless there are major cosmetic issues leading to teasing, insecurity and low self esteem, most plastic surgeons would opt to wait to do rhinoplasty until the patient can make the decision on their own as an adult.

In your case, I do not see major deformity that would lead to teasing or low self esteem.  Although your nose could be improved with a dorsal hump reduction, your current appearance is just not that bad.  Remember that there are potential risks and complications that can occur with any procedure.  From an emotional standpoint, these complications are tolerated better by an adult patient that made their own decision to have rhinoplasty as an adult.  There would be no opportunity to blame your parents for allowing this to happen.

Finally, as a side note, because your nose is really again "not that bad" and you look to be quite attractive, Body Dysmorphic Disorder needs to be considered.  This is defined as a mental disorder in which one cannot stop thinking about perceived flaws in appearance — these flaws would be considered minor or absent to others. The sufferer may feel so ashamed and anxious that social situations are avoided.  One question to ask a patient who I suspect of having BDD is "Do you spend alot of time looking in the mirror?"

Your beautiful!  Wait until your an adult to consider a rhinoplasty.

All my best!

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

The ideal Age to have rhinoplasty is after completion of the rapid facial growth phase.  In Women, that is generally around the age of 16 and in men that is generally around the age 18 years.  The cartilage of the nose continues to grow in adulthood, but much more slowly after the completion of the rapid growth seen around puberty.

There is no real upper age limit for having a Rhinoplasty.  Nose surgery can be an essential component of facial rejuvenation plans in patients who are in their 40's-60's.

Dr. B.

Ramin Behmand, MD

Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty

There is not a specific age that is ideal for rhinoplasty. Patients need have matured fully physically and be able to understand and consent for the procedure. Some patients this will occur in the late teens while other patients are not prepared until much older. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Greetings

I always advice my young patients to wait till the age of 18 to have Rhinoplasty or breast Augmentation. you can consult a surgeon in your area for a free consultation. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon