Where in L.A. Can I Get a Great Nose Job Under $5000?

I have a big nose I would like to have it reduced. With the economy the way it is..I hoping some surgeons will drop their prices. Can someone direct me to a good cheap surgeon with out having to go to Tijuana. Although many of my friends have had work done there and they swear by it.

Seek certified and experienced surgeon for Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Experience is of utmost importance in choosing a plastic surgeon. Most participants in this expert panel would recommend a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon only.

Be Cautious of Cheap Nose Job

Though the cost of a nose job can vary from doctor to doctor, being quoted less than $5,000 for a rhinoplasty is relatively rare especially in a metropolitan city like Los Angeles. Though the surgeon you are consulting may be board certified, this estimate is on the low side and may thus reflect a lack of experience. With such an important operation like a rhinoplasty, which has the ability to change your entire look, I would be cautious about choosing a surgeon that is cheap. Instead, focus your efforts on finding a surgeon that is knowledgeable and with whom you feel comfortable. 

Sam Rizk, MD

Rhinoplasty cost should not be your primary concern

Thanks for the question -

I agree with Dr. Grover whole heartedly.

Costs are always something to consider. Especially in more challenging economic times. It does pay to shop around but it shouldn't be your first concern.

You may be able to find someone to do your rhinoplasty for as little as $1000 but you're unlikely to find someone to perform the procedure safely and with the maximum benefit.

In our San Francisco practice we emphasize patient safety and efficacy of the procedure. This is your body and these procedures are serious endeavors with possible complications that can last a lifetime. Don't compromise your safety.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon that can address your concerns and that you can establish a good relationship with.

Also check with your insurance plan. If you've had trauma or have problems breathing part of the procedure may be covered.

You can also contact universtiy plastic surgery programs who may have programs where their residents under the supervision of the fully trained attendings. I hope this helps.

Always choose the right doctor - not the cheapest

Everything is expensive in this world. The cost of the disposables in the operating room is expensive. The cost of anesthesia, nursing care and the administrative staff that helps the doctors office runs - is expensive. The cost of insurance and rent is expensive.

And of course, the right of a well-trained doctor to charge for his or her years of training is important. This usually adds up to more than $5000 even in the cheapest of towns.

Rhinoplasty $4999.99, Good Only Until the End of the Month

Hi Sam in LA,

Rhinoplasty has been called the most difficult of all facial plastic surgeries by some the most famous surgeons to perform plastic surgery.

The last place where you want to get the "cheapest" price for surgery is on your nose which will be in the middle of your face for the rest of your life. I do understand that the economy is bad and that the going rate of rhinoplasty varying from $6000 up to $12,000 is a lot of hard earned money, but the cost of a bad result with subsequent revision surgeries not to mention the time and loss of work could be multiple times more the price of your original surgery.

You should choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully, preferably a plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or ENT surgeon, board certified, and with experience in rhinoplasty.

You should have multiple consultations and get comparative prices. Choose the surgeon whom you feel will best meet your goals, but remember to keep pricing low on the priority list.

If you must stay at a very low price, you may look into the plastic surgery residency programs in Los Angeles (UCLA, USC) and research who the supervising professors are. You run the risk of having a relatively inexperienced rhinoplasty surgeon operating on you.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

You get what you pay for

samnla323,

When it comes to plastic surgery, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Please be careful, especially when it comes to your nose for rhinoplasty. If you go to someone who does not know what they are doing, it could be a disaster. And some things are not fixable. You really have to think long and hard before undergoing rhinoplasty. For $5000 you are not going to find a qualified person to do the surgery. If you do, in the end, you are likely going to end up paying much, much more to have someone fix whatever you have done.

Rhinoplasty can be very involved or less involved as the anatomy and goals of the patient dictate.  I typically perform closed rhinoplasty (no visible scars) and, for certain patient demands, $5000 is not an unreasonable price, even in Los Angeles, CA.  Some rhinoplasties are more difficult and require more procedures or they are more difficult revisions.  In these cases OR and anesthesia fees may be $5000, apart from the surgeon's fee.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty Fees

Surgical Fees vary considerably across the country.  South Florida pricing will be less than LA fees for example.  The most important consideration is to choose a good surgeon who understands your needs.  The last thing from a time, recovery, or cost standpoint is to choose a surgeon that would lead you to need revision surgery in the future.

Rhinoplasty Expense

Even in this period of the "Great Recession", there are no "real bargains" for Rhinoplasty.  It is a technically complex procedure, a difficult procedure to obtain consistently great results, and there is no reason to offer it for bargain prices.  I agree with the other Surgeons who have posted on this topic: 1) Rhinoplasty is one procedure where price should be the least of your concerns, 2) If you don't have the money right now, it is much better to wait until you do. In the long run, a bad Rhinoplasty will cost you much more in psychological, functional, and financial terms.

Rhinoplasty and Cost

Probably more so than any other cosmetic procedure, rhinoplasty needs to be done right the first time.  There are several reasons why this does not make sense from an economic standpoint:

• If you save a few dollars, but your surgery is not successful, in reality you did not save anything.  This is a concept which is hard to understand.  A rhinoplasty is not like purchasing a TV from a store, where every TV is essentially the same.  Every nose and rhinoplasty is different.  
  • A revision rhinoplasty will cost 3-5 x more money than the original rhinoplasty.  Therefore if your surgery to save was not successful, you have cost yourself more money.
  • Time is a precious commodity.  Additional time healing from the "saved money" procedure will waiting for the revision adds to the overall cost.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon