How Much Does a Body Lift Cost?

What is the range in price for a full body lift, assuming insurance will not cover any part of the surgery?

Cost of a Body Lift

The cost of a body lift will depend on a variety of factors that include:

• Your geographical location
  • Surgeon’s experience
  • Surgeon’s expertise
  • Anesthesiologist’s fee
  • Facility fee
  • Procedures elected to be performed

Where you live will be a key factor that determines how much your body lift will cost. The price will generally run higher in major metropolitan areas due to the increased cost of overhead. Surgeons with more experience and higher expertise may charge more due to their specialized training. Generally, a body lift typically averages between $4,000 and $14,000. However, this is only a rough estimate and will fluctuate based on the various factors stated above. Lastly, a body lift is a combination of 2 or more body contouring procedures to achieve a sleeker, tighter figure. The price will fluctuate based on what procedures have been elected for the body lift to produce optimal results.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

How Much Does a Body Lift Cost?

Costs for cosmetic procedures are influenced by the scope of the operation (I.E. how many different procedures are combined into one) as well as the time in the operating room and under general anesthesia.  In most places, the fees for anesthesia and surgical facility are determined by the length of the operation rather than flat fees.  The longer the operation, the greater the fees.  In Houston where I practice, a lower body lift can cost between $15,000 and $25,000, depending on what is done and the length of the operation.  An overnight stay in the surgical facility is necessary and included in these fees.

Paul Fortes, MD

Make SURE you're getting the TOTAL cost!

You are wise to assume that insurance will not cover body lift surgery (see my answer to "When is body lift surgery covered by insurance?"). You should also make sure to compare just what "full body lift" consists of, as this will vary with each patient, the amount and distribution of the loose skin, and the exact details of the planned surgical procedure. Not all "full body lifts" are the same!

Also, make sure your cost quote considers not just the plastic surgeon's fee, but also operating room, anesthesia, garment, and hospital charges (if that is where your surgeon does this surgery.) You may be surprised to know that there are experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons who have extensive capability to do full body lifts as outpatient operations in their accredited office surgical facilities. Some surgeons (those who do not have their own surgical facility) perform this surgery at a hospital. This is certainly fine, and quite common, but is ALWAYS more costly, and exposes you to sick patients and hospital bacteria, as well as a nursing and anesthesia and recovery teams who may not do this procedure on a regular basis. Higher costs and fees are often justified by telling patients that "This is a big or serious operation that should be done in a hospital," implying increased safety or capability.

As you may suspect, I have an accredited office surgical facility (although I maintain full hospital credentials for those patients who require surgery there), and experienced staff who help me perform full body lifts in 5-7 hours as a safe outpatient procedure. My partner and I have done over 250 body lifts over the past 13 years, including removal of as much as 31 pounds of loose skin in one patient. We have performed over 16000 general anesthesia cosmetic operations over the past 23 years without death, heart attack, or stroke. Our body lift fees include surgeon's fee, operating room, anesthesia, garments, free consultation, and all recovery visits, and are around $17000 depending on the exact procedure details and time needed. I have seen hospital bills for exactly the same procedure that can be double that cost, especially when the final hospital bill arrives for the actual cost, not the preop estimate

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

The Cost Of Body Lift Procedures

It's not unusual for patients who experience massive weight loss to require body lift procedures to address redundant hanging skin. The cost of this type of procedure is variable and depends upon several factors. These include the surgeon's fee, facility fees and anesthesia charges. Fees in the Midwestern United States typically range between $7,000 and $11,000.

If you're considering body lift surgery, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience performing this type of procedure. Although the cost of the procedure is an important consideration, it's not the only consideration. Patients should also consider the surgeon's experience and qualifications. It's absolutely essential that you're able to communicate and have a comfort level with the surgeon who will be performing your surgery.

Cost of a body lift?

The cost of a body lift varies based upon where it is performed, whether an overnight stay is required, how much skin/fat needs to be performed, and most importantly upon there skin and experience of the plastic surgeon involved.  The general cost varies between 15 and 20 thousand dollars - all included.  Probably not fair to give you more specific numbers without more details.  Best of luck!

Full Body Lift Cost

Thank you for your question. The cost of a body lift will vary widely. A surgeon’s cost for body contouring procedures may vary based on his or her experience, the type of procedure(s) used. This is also including surgical and anesthetic fees. If you are looking for an exact price, schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. You will be evaluated more efficiently. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified 
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your inquiry. Before deciding to undergo body lift surgery, your weight must be relatively stable for at least a year. Women considering future pregnancies should postpone an abdominal body lift since pregnancy may reduce the procedure’s overall results.
Good candidates for body lift surgery include:
  • Individuals with significant soft tissue looseness in multiple body areas
  • Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that can impair healing or increase risk of surgery
  • Non-smokers
  • Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals for what body lift surgery can achieve
  • Individuals committed to leading a healthy lifestyle, including proper nutrition and exercise.
Prices for this surgery will depend on what surgeries will be performed, your location, OR & anesthesia fees, etc. An average fee can range from $8000 - $15000. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that feels at ease performing this surgery. Best of luck to you,

Cost of a Body Lift

Prices vary greatly because the surgery itself encompasses a wide range of techniques that can be performed to different extents. My recommendation is to first find the most qualified surgeons where you want the surgery performed that are board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery you trust, then compare prices between them.

See the below link on suggestions on how to find the most qualified plastic surgeon for your procedure.

General Factors that influence the price of plastic surgery include:

1. Location - Will it be performed in a hospital with an overnight stay, an independent out- patient facility or a doctor’s office? Geographical location also has a significant influence. RealSelf has average charges for most areas of the USA.

2. Type of Anesthesia - IV sedation or General Anesthesia? Will a board certified anesthesiologist, nurse anesthetist, or an RN be used?

3. Experience and training of your surgeon. The best and longest trained is most often a plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

4. Length and Complexity of Surgery - how difficult will your surgery be and how long it will take, etc. Will other complementary procedures also be also performed during the same surgery?

Body lift costs

A body lift means different things to different people.  Assuming that you are referring to a circumferential abdominoplasty that will address the abdomen, flanks, lateral thighs, back and buttocks...the cost will be between $8-14K depending on where you live and the specifics about what you need done.  Choose your surgeon based on training, experience and the rapport you build with them.  That will lead to far better results and satisfying outcomes than trying to find the best price.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Plastic Surgeon Oakville
Ass't Clin Professor
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training,
McMaster University

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Cost of body lift

The term "body lift" means various procedures, all of which are part of body contouring after massive weight loss. In my practice this means a full abdominoplasty and buttock lift in a circumferential way, meaning with an incision that goes all the way around the body. This can be done all at once or in 2 stages. The cost is generally $16,000-$20,000 depending on multiple factors. It's best to be seen by a plastic surgeon as early as possible so that you know what to expect and are able to plan for both recovery and cost.

Orna Fisher, MD