Procedures to Tighten Loose Skin from Massive Weight Loss?

I'm a male 23 years old. I was 300 lbs. and now I'm 185 lbs. The problem is I have excess skin just above the penis area and around my stomach. Is there any exercise I can do to get rid of it? I work out a lot. What procedures are available to get rid of this? It’s really upsetting me. Please can you help and tell me how I can tighten this area? Thank you!

Sit ups and lunges do not significantly tighten the skin after massive weight loss....

Dear Sir:

Congratulations on your massive weight loss.  You should be commended on significantly improving your health and improving your lifestyle. 

I have many patients such as you who have lost a significant amount of weight and developed excess skin and fat in the pubic region.  Typically, male patients after massive weight loss developed significant fat above the penis and lateral to the penis above the scrotum.  When I examined patients, the excess skin and fat in this area typically looks like the letter W. 

Due to your significant weight loss, this is a very typical area to exercise or workout.  Sit ups and lunges do not significantly tighten the skin.  It is not necessarily the lack of exercise or doing the wrong exercise, it is just the skin in the area has been stretched and is unable to contract.  Surgical procedures include an abodominoplasty or a body lift  if your hips and buttocks bother you.

During my body lifts, I make the incision in the pubic region in males, very low to remove this excess skin and fat.  If your abdomen and hips are not bothering you and it is just the pubic region then I do an isolated pubic reduction.  This is done by making a vertical incision just above the penis extending towards the top of the underwear line.  By doing this, an ellipse or football-shaped skin and fat excision is done.  In addition, if the excess skin and fat is significant extending down to the scrotal region, I make an incision in a shape of an upside-down Y so the incision goes on top of the penis and then down the side of the penis onto the scrotum.  Sensation is usually always left intact and erection and fertility usually are not postoperative problems.

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Body Lift or Abdominoplasty After Massive Weight Loss

Congratulations on your impressive weight loss.  That takes discipline and determination.  The right operation for you should be individualized.  No amount of exercise will make the excess skin go away once your weight has been stable for 6 mos.  To get the most from your weight loss you will likely need some type of a tummy tuck that removes the apron of skin in the lower abdomen.  A surgeon experienced in plastic surgery after weight loss can help you evaluate the best options for yourself.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Loose Skin after gastric bypass or massive weight loss

Depending on the areas of excess or loss skin you have, you have several options.
1. Tummy tuck - would provide removal of the skin from the front part of your abdomen and improve the the suprapubic area

2. Lower body lift - would improve the area around your abdomen, lower back, and buttocks region.

Ankit Desai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Massive Weight Loss Surgery Options

It's not unusual for patients to develop significant amounts of redundant abdominal tissue following massive weight loss. In patients who have lost over 100 lbs., correction of this type of problem usually always requires surgical intervention. Unfortunately, exercise will have little effect upon loose skin.

In your particular case, it's difficult to make a specific recommendation without pictures or a physical examination. Despite this, your clinical history strongly suggests that you would benefit from some type of abdominal skin resection.

The type of procedure chosen would depend upon your anatomic findings and aesthetic goals. This procedure would require removal of excess abdominal skin and elevation of the mons pubis. The extent of skin resection would depend upon the degree of skin sag and in some cases, may require a posterior body lift. In some cases, the underlying muscles may be weak and require tightening as well.

If you're concerned about redundant abdominal tissue, it's important to consult a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this area. This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Loose Skin

That's so great you lost the weight. Unfortunately, you are dealing with what people deal with after a large amount of weight loss-loose skin. There really are not many nonsurgical options that make a big difference. Surgical excision would be your best option

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Weight loss

There are certainly multiple procedures to tighten the skin from weight loss.  Given the fact that he would have significant weight loss in a short period of time he will likely need a surgical intervention.  I would not recommend any nonsurgical or noninvasive methods you may not get the results you want and will certainly increase her costs of care.  Typically most people start with an abdominoplasty

After massive weight loss, loose skin can develop in any area of the body.  Loose skin especially occurs in the area(s) of greatest fat reduction.  In the case of the abdomen, the loose skin can be removed in the form of a mini-abdominoplasty (lower abdomen only) or full abdominoplasty (entire abdomen).  The loose skin in the pubis is also lifted and removed during these operations.  If the loose skin bothers you, go see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  You owe yourself that much for the great effort made in losing the weight!  Best of luck!

Paul Fortes, MD

Massive Weight Surgery Can Improve Quality of Life

Unfortunately, no amount of diet and exercise can reverse the problem of excess skin in massive weight loss patients.  Generally, abdominoplasty is the only reliable and reproducible method to improve the problem of excess skin in the abdomen after massive weight loss.  The procedure can be tailored for each individual patient to include standard technique, extended abdominplasty, and circumferential abdominoplasty/lower body lift.  Studies have shown that removing the excess tissue can improve one's quality of life.

John Burns, MD

Body Contouring Procedures

Congratulations on your impressive weight loss. In general, individuals tend to lose weight asymmetrically. If you have reached your goal weight, it is important that you remain at that weight before having a procedure. Unfortunately, exercise will not be able to achieve the results you're looking for regarding your excess overhanging skin. I advise you to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon that will be able to evaluate you. You may be a candidate for a full abdominoplasty or lower body lift.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to tighten skin after massive weight loss?

Good job on the weight loss.  You have asked a question that we hear about all of the time.   If your skin has stretch marks, the only therapy to get rid of this skin is to cut it out.  The areas of concern that you refer to could be addressed by abdominoplasty.  The best advice is to go see a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with massive weight loss patients.