How Should I Look 2 Weeks After Lower Facelift / Neck Lift?

I had lower face and neck lift surgery 2 weeks ago. Everybody that I have spoken to who has had this surgery has had immediate results in the neck area. My neck still looks very strange and more saggy under the chin than before...is this normal? Also the edges of my face and one ear are completely numb...how long before my skin feels like it belongs to me again?

Expected result 2 weeks after face and neck lift

2 weeks after a face and neck lift, it is common to have numbness around the incisions. Also, the incisions will still be slightly red and may be this way for a few months. There is likely to be some bruising and swelling that is resolving. The bruising should be more of a yellow/green color and no longer the deep purple that is seen a few days after surgery.  The skin of the neck and face should be tight - in fact, it is often more tight than it will be when you are fully healed because it is still swollen.   You are describing that your neck is still lax and full. It is possible that there is a fluid collection, or seroma. This does not sound like the typical result 2 weeks after surgery and I agree that you should see your surgeon to be evaluated.

Lower face lift/neck lift and excess skin

2 weeks post - op is still early.  However, one usually does not see extra, loose skin after a neck and face lift this early.  Remember that the excess skin has to be removed through incisions that begin in front of the ear and extend below and behind the ear into the scalp in order to remove the skin.  If one tries to minimize the incision lenght, inadequate skin will be removed.  Very few patients are good candidates for a lower face lift/neck lift for this reason.  Make sure you are seeing a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Samer W. Cabbabe, M.D.

Board - Certified Plastic Surgeon

St. Louis Plastic Surgery Consultants

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Early Facelift Results

In my experience of over 1000 facelifts:

Within the first 1-2 weeks following a lower facelift and neck contouring, you should see the following:

• Resolution of any swelling and bruising
  • Improved definition along the jawline
  • Improved contour definition and angle under the chin
  • Smooth skin without any irregular lumps/bumps
  • A fine pink line at the incision sites

Irregularities might stem from the following:

• Fluid collections
  • Infection
  • Suture failure
  • Poorly planned or executed procedure
  • Inadequate use of compression garments during the first several days
  • Inappropriate sleep position during the first week

Jeffrey D. Pollard, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Should I Look 2 Weeks After Lower Facelift / Neck Lift

Throughout the #facelift and #necklift #healing process you should be seen frequently by your doctor and one of their registered nurses to ensure you are following instructions properly and your recovery is going well. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift and necklift will become apparent and the real result will be seen.
If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Loose neck skin and numb ears 2 weeks after face and neck lift

Numbness, of the skin and ear lobes are normal after a face and neck lift and slowly resolves over the subsequent 1-3 months.  However, at 2 weeks, the skin should not be loose under the chin and you might want to discuss this further with your surgeon for advice and recommendations.

2 Weeks after Your Facelift ...

• parts of your ear will be numb
  • skin of your neck and sides of the face can be numb
  • your neck skin should be tight
  • there may be some swelling
  • brusing may be mostly gone

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns. A lot depends on the specific technique he used. Saggy skin under the chin will likely not improve but get worse over the next 3 months.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Incomplete healing 2 weeks after a facelift

Some of your symptoms - swelling under the chin and numbness around/of the ear 2 weeks after facelift, are perfectly normal at your stage and will resolve over 4-6 months. If you are truly more saggy/loose under the chin than before, this would be uncommon - you should seek a checkup with your surgeon to ensure there has been no fluid collection that needs to be addressed.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after a facelift

While you may still have some swelling two weeks after a facelift I would not expect saggy skin or a greater contour defect than prior to surgery.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for a discussion.  The numbness is normal at this point.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift results

Without an evaluation it is hard to say what is going on. AS for numbness, this is farily common and usually improves over a few months time.

2 weeks after necklift

In general you should look tight immediately after your neck lift and there shouldn't be worsening of any hanging skin.  However, it isn't uncommon if you have extremely stretchy skin or if you had a lot of excess neck skin to have a little sag right under your chin.  You may need an additional skin tightening procedure like a laser therapy to help tighten the skin.  The numbness may return if the nerve was just stretched - but if it was cut it won't come back.  Ultimately, your plastic surgeon should be the one to discuss any concerns you may have - he/she is the only person that has a true understanding of your anatomy and the details of your surgery.  I would recommend you go back to speak to him/her.  I'm sure your surgeon would be happy to answer any of your questions and concerns.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD, FACS