Post gynecomastia surgery puffiness, hard lumps & pain under nipples. Is this normal, and will it improve? (Photo)

I underwent operation around 2.5 months ago for a grade-1 gyno. The doctor only performed lipo by saying that there was only fatty tissue & no glandular tissues were involved. The results were quite noticeable immediately. I have been wearing the compression vest for 8-10 weeks. But for the past 3-4 weeks, I have noticed that puffiness & hard lumps are back around both nipples. I can feel pain while jogging & whenever the nipples are pressed.Is this normal & will the puffiness reduce/ get worse?

Puffiness after male gynecomastia surgery

From your photos in the front view the results look good. The puffiness at this point could still be some swelling or hard areas of fat that your body will resorb. At 3-4 months, I would consider entertaining the possiblity of a revision to remove any glandular breast tissue behind the nipple. Good luck.

Firmness and lumps after gynecomastia treatment

Thank you for your pictures. Your result look very good.  And thoroughness fill the nipples probably represents some scar tissue from the liposuction. Please revisit your plastic surgeon about methods to reduce this. In my opinion massage generally works.

Swelling after gynecomastia

The things you described are normal for two months after surgery. It is very unusual for all the swelling to be gone away in two months. It may take six months for the swelling to go away. Massaging these lumps would be a good idea if they change size or get softer after massage then they are swelling. The only thing that will go away with massage his water.

Wendell Perry, MD

You are still in early healing phases, but the posted photos do demonstrate improvement. Wait till 6 months out than if still unhappy a revision surgery can be done to do excision of the sub areolar tissue. 

Post gynecomastia surgery puffiness, hard lumps & pain under nipples. Is this normal, and will it improve?

In general, gynecomastia surgery is performed with liposuction and excision of the glandular tissues.  Since you are still experiencing puffiness and lumps, follow up with your surgeon until healed.  If the problem persist, a revision may be needed.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Healing and Recovery After Your Gynecomastia Procedure

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process after #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.  Also, #asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery due to the nature of each breast to heal differently from each other.

As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Healing after Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi skadam,
Thanks for the post and photos. You are still in the healing phase and final results can take up to 6 months. Your result based on the photos you have posted appear to be good and they should continue to improve. As for the hardness under the nipples refer to the link below for more information.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Post gynecomastia surgery puffiness, hard lumps & pain under nipples.

Thank you for your question. It looks good in pictures. It is not un common to have hard lumps after lipo and usually resolve in 3-4 months. Pl continue to follow up with your PS and call and express your concerns.

Breast puffiness after liposuction of the breasts for gynecomastia

You would need an examination to determine if there is residual breast tissue below the nipple.  I would imagine that there was some breast tissue present since your areolas were puffy and enlarged prior to surgery.  To correct this problem you would need an open subcutaneous mastectomy.  

See your surgeon.

If you have puffy nipples after lipo only for gynaecomastia then you may well need an open excision of the glandular tissue. It is still early, however, so I would see how things get on over the next few moths and then go back and see your surgeon. 

Vivek Sivarajan, MBChB
Glasgow Plastic Surgeon