I want to have scar revision done on my face. Would it be best to consult a reconstructive surgeon, or a plastic surgeon?

In NYC who is the best at scar revision?
Here is a link to help you find a doctor in your area

Doctor Answers 6

Facial scar revision

Many plastic surgeons perform reconstructive work, and vice versa. Consult several surgeons to guage their experience with your particular situation. 

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Scars May Be Treated With A Variety of Minimally Invasive (Nonsurgical )Techniques

Scars may result from trauma (injury), infection (e.g. chicken pocks), inflammation (acne) or prior surgery. Likewise there are certain conditions known for causing scars, such as untreated acne leading to pit scars, or surgical wounds leaving off-white line scars and stitch tracks, etc. Accordingly, there are quite a few methods for treating and improving scars, depending upon the specific type, whether it is elevated above the skin (as in the case of keloids and hypertrophic scars) or atrophic (depressed scars), such as those box scars,  rolling scars, or ice pick scars that may follow severe acne.

Without a photo and some history it is impossible to really say what form of treatment(s) is appropriate in this case. Treatments run the gamut from surgical revision, punch-excision, chemical peels, radiowave treatments, subcision and fractional medical microneedling, each having its own purpose and expected outcomes. To determine what is best for you, consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience with each of these modalities is strongly urged.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Scar revision

It is always a good idea to go to a plastic surgeon for scar revision especially on the face. Without more information it is difficult to say.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Scar Revision on your Face

I wish you had provided a photo for better assessment because it depends on the type of scar that you have.  If it is a scar that a laser can improve then I would recommend a dermatologist.  If it is a scar that needs to be re-excised I would recommend a facial plastic surgeon.  Revising scars are very tricky so please find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in scar revisions.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Scar revision on face

I would recommend seeing a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon for the scar revision on your face.  A surgeon in either of those specialties should be able to help you.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Reconstructive or plastic surgeon

When I became board certified, our professional society was called the American Society of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons.  It has changed for simplicity's sake, to the American Society of Plastic Surgery but the specialty includes both aesthetic and reconstructive procedures.  There is no separate specialty called reconstructive surgery.  Many of us perform both cosmetic and reconstructive surgery.  Scar revision is classically a cosmetic procedure unless the functionality of a structure is impaired.   
Best wishes, Dr Kraft

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.