Will Voluma cheek injections improve under eye hollows?

I currently have Restylane injected in my tear troughs. I have had it injected twice. The first time I had one syringe injected, and I needed more after 6 months. My last injection of another syringe was 4 months ago. The Restylane injections have been an improvement, but have not given me the results that I want. I am considering injecting Voluma into my cheeks. I think I need it regardless, but will this improve my under eye hollows? If not, what are other alternatives.

Voluma for eye hollows

Thank you for your question. Voluma is a great product to provide more definition and lift to the cheeks and will indirectly soften the under eye hollow (subtle but noticeable). Every patient will have their own individual needs and the technique is extremely important to help maximize amount of lifting and shaping using the least amount of product. I conduct many train many injectors on some advance techniques and find that most patients can see a noticeable change with 1-2 syringes of Voluma. Some may need more to get their desired effect. I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can help conduct a thorough assessment and develop an overall treatment plan for you.

Voluma for Under Eye Hollows?

Voluma should not be used to target under eye hollows.  It is specifically designed for adding volume to the cheeks which can help mask the transition between eyelid and cheek. It is very technique dependent and require an injector with a great deal of experience. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma is a great product that can help with facial volume lose in the mid face. It may help inadvertently to camouflage that area by pulling the cheek area and eye area out. I usually recommend doing a combination of products to help augment the under eye and cheeks. Usually, I'll use radiesse or voluma for the cheeks and beloterro or restylane for the under eyes. So, in my opinion it's good thinking to believe that you may still need to fill your cheeks in order to fully correct that area. Hope this was helpful.

Best of Luck!

Kristin J. Tarbet, MD
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Voluma - great for cheeks, not for tear troughs or under eye hollows

Voluma is a wonderful product, when administered conservatively in the appropriate area by an experienced injector. Voluma is not designed for under eye hollows. It could likely result in a lumpy looking appearance.  The ONLY material I find predictable for tear troughs or under eye hollows is your own fat. Fat grafting can also  create problems, like lumpiness, or an overfilled look. But, when performed by a surgeon with expertise, experience, patience and attanetion to detail, the result can be beautiful. It can also be permanent. before having material injected into your tear trough or under eye area, I would strongly suggest viewing a minimum of a dozen patients and before and after photos from thee angles to see what their result is like. View photos after weeks, and months after the procedure. Ideally,  a plastic surgeon should be able to share several dozen patient images. But just four or five photos aren't enough.  Photos are just a start when looking for a plastic surgeon, but photos can provide evidence of outcomes. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Voluma in the cheeks can indirectly soften under-eye hollows

Yes, volume cheek injections improves under-eye hollows, but it does so indirectly.  

Putting volume in the lateral cheeks gently pulls the cheek skin towards the ear.  This often results in a subtle reshaping/softening of the under-eye area.  For patients, such as yourself, with a flatter mid face, adding volume into the cheeks, under the tear trough, camouflages mild under-eye bags.  

Good for cheek hollows

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler.  Voluma can work very well for the area just below the eyes where you transition from the lower eyelid to the cheek.

Absolutely a good option.

We have been using Voluma since it's release in early December 2013 and have extremely pleased with its effect at volumizing the tissues. It can be used safely if done conservatively up to the bony orbital rim, including the "tear trough" deformity and the outer (lateral) eyelid area. Your pictures appear to show a lumpiness to the eyelids, and if lumps can be felt, they can be treated effectively with injections of hyaluronidase which breaks down any hyauronic acid material (Restylane) injected previously. This is also true of Voluma which is 100% reversible if needed. It also lasts for over 2 years, making it very cost effective. It has quickly become our favorite injectable similar to its approval and use in Canada

Maurice P. Sherman, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for Under Eye Hollows

Voluma cheek injections are likely to improve the appearance of dark circles and under eye hollows. Voluma is formulated with hyaluronic acid, a hydrating substance naturally found in our bodies that helps gives skin its youthful volume. By restoring lost volume and providing a natural lift to the cheek area, the appearance of the under eye region will improve as well. For the most ideal results, it is best to ask your dermatologist about fillers such Juvederm, Restylane, and Belotero which are more commonly used to correct the tear trough area.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma eye hollows

I do not like to use Voluma under the eye hollows and keep it in the FDA approved areas of the cheek. As this may vary by practitioner,  I would suggest discussing with a Board Certified Dermatologist with expertise with Voluma.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Under eye

Voluma is primarily used for cheek augmentation and can be a nice compliment to restylane or fat transfer surgery to address the lower eyelids.
I would suggest consulting with an Oculoplastic surgeon or eyelid specialist for an evaluation and proper discussion of your options for the best result.

Malena Amato, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon