How much would it cost for en bloc implant removal with no lift?

Hi, I'm ready to be back to my natural self and want to get my 9 year old 330cc saline implants removed en bloc, no lift, but having trouble finding pricing. Is this achievable for less than $3,000? I'm okay with local or twilight anesthesia.

Thank you for the question. Keep in mind, that there are a variety of different ways to remove breast implants and the en bloc removal is not always necessary or indicated. This procedure does take longer to perform (and is associated with a longer incision);  costs of surgery are generally greater when patients undergo the en bloc removal.

Generally speaking (in my opinion), unless the breast implant capsules have thickened (and/or are otherwise symptomatic), are associated with the ruptured silicone gel breast implants, or if the patient has concerns about "medical conditions" related to the breast implants, capsulectomy is not universally necessary. For these patients, en block removal of breast implants is a good procedure.

On the contrary, capsulectomy can expose patients to additional risks, such as bleeding, size loss, contour irregularities and other serious complications. In other words, any maneuver performed during surgery exposes patients to additional risk (morbidity). For example, attempting to remove very thin capsule densely adherent to the patient's rib cage may expose the patient to significant bleeding and/or entrance into the thoracic cavity.

When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that further revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Pricing

I would suggest calling surgeons in your area for pricing. Pricing varies across the country. Remember, you will have the surgeon's fee, the OR fee and anesthesia's fee.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

The Cost of Breast Implant Removal

The cost of breast implant removal will depend upon the type of procedure used. If you have a relatively new implant (less than 5 years), have no contracture, no rupture, deflation, calcification,or breast pain, you can just have the implants removed without removing the capsules. You will need a breast ultrasound or breast MRI to determine the integrity of these implants before deciding on what procedure is best for you. Implant removal without removal of the capsules costs about $1500 for the professional fee plus facility fee. If you need the capsules removed in addition to the implants, it will cost more, about three to four thousand, for the professional fee plus facility and anesthesia fees. These fees, of course, will depend upon the geographical area. I hope this is helpful.

Lu-Jean Feng, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon