Is a mini tummy tuck with umbilical float the right choice? (Photo)

I've been struggling with what to do with my tummy skin laxity since I had children. It was recommended that I do a mini tummy tuck with umbilical float. Do you think that is the right choice?

Is a mini tummy tuck with umbilical float the right choice

I think it is a reasonable option, just be aware that it can only be done as a second umbilical float would likely leave your belly button in an exaggerated low place

Full tummy tuck

The amount of excess skin typically determines the length of the incision required to remove that excess skin. As a general rule, a short incision only allows a small amount of skin removal. A longer incision and resulting scar (as in a full tummy tuck) will allow the surgeon to remove more skin and tighten the entire abdominal wall.  This is the important thing to consider when looking at this type of surgery. Don't compromise the results with a shorter scar if it won't deliver the results you want. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in tummy tucks and body contouring should be able to show you what you can expect. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #tummytuck #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

#MiniYummyTuck #TummyTuck - mini tummy tuck with umbilical float

That's hard to say from these photos alone but I would think most likely not.  You appear to have enough excess and loose tissue below the BB to warrant a full TT.  That is even more likely if you've had full term pregnancies, weight gains and losses, etc.  You would need to be assessed in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon but I suspect that that's what will be recommended.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Dr. Derby Sang

Thank you for your question and your photo.

Looking at your photos you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck combined with a lipo in all areas needed.

best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Is a mini tummy tuck with umbilical float the right choice?

Thank you for your question and photos. These were taken with your arms up, putting the abdominal skin on maximum tension, thus difficult to assess your skin laxity. You are a good candidate for a modified full tummy tuck via a small pubic incision, but I would not float the umbilicus. I would do a muscle repair and not just skin excision. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques for an in person consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

Is mini tuck the right choice?

Thank you for your question. This would not be the procedure of choice for a number of reasons. A mini tuck and float with your presenting anatomy will likely fall extremely short of your expectations for outcome and potentially compromise a better procedure for you. I would, at the very least, enjoy a few more opinions to be the most well imformed before proceeding forward. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Mini tummy tuck with umbi float when belly button is high

The mini tummy tuck with umbilical float works best when the existing position of the belly button is high and the upper abdominal skin is generally good. Though this cannot be recommended without an in-person evaluation, it appears that this may be your situation. Please see the link below for a description of the various approaches.

Richard Baxter, MD

Although it is more difficult to tell without examining you in person, you may indeed be a candidate for an umbilical float procedure. A full tummy tuck tightens the skin throughout the tummy, but in someone with only mild skin laxity above the belly button this would result in the belly button scar as well as a vertical scar in the lower tummy from closing the old belly button hole...and if there is not much upper laxity, that vertical scar may be relatively high below the belly button. A mini tummy tuck will only tighten skin below the belly button, and will have no effect on the loose skin just above the belly button. An umbilical float, on the other hand, releases the belly button at the base of its stalk under the surface, so there is no belly button scar and no vertical scar. The limitation, however, is that if the upper skin is pulled down and tightened too much, then the belly button stalk is reset too low and the belly button will be low and look funny. It is an appropriate procedure in patients who have a relatively high belly button that can stand to move down 1-2 cm. without looking too low, and only mild excess skin just above the belly button that can be helped by a minor tightening. You may be a candidate for this, but a careful examination would be needed.

Tummy Tuck

A mini TT can remove the lower half of the skin below the belly button. The majority of your bad skin is in the upper half of the skin below the belly button, so basically none of your bad skin would be removed, thus the mini tummy tuck would be an extremely poor choice for you, a waste of your time, a waste of your money, and a waste of a good surgical procedure. The same would be said for the float procedure. If you want to get rid of the bad skin you need a full tummy tuck.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD