Do I have a weak chin? Am I a candidate for a chin implant or other procedure? (Photo)

I have always had a problem with the way my neck and chin looked. I always thought the problem was a large adam's apple and bad posture making my neck go forward. I am wondering if getting a chin implant or similar procedure would help fix this problem.

Your problem is a short chin, a low hyoid  one and perhaps an over bite.  This can be fixed.  You should have an evaluation

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes! A chin implant.

Hi SCM1477,Yes, a chin implant is a great idea for you.  We do these right in the office often and the results can be dramatic.  You'd expect to be looking good in only about 20 minutes, though swelling lasts a while.
I'd strongly suggest seeing a facial plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey H. Spiegel, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I have a weak chin? Am I a candidate for a chin implant or other procedure?

If you have a normal bite, a chin implant will be a great option for you. Based on a frontal view I will be able to determine if a posterior jaw implant is necessary to augment the jaw angles. Seek a plastic surgeon with special training in facial implants, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Weak chin

From the single picture, you can see that the chin is weak. But I think that much more than the chin needs augmentation. There is no visible mandibular angle, which, when corrected, would give  you a strong masculine appearance.It does not appear that you have significant fat in your neck. Its best to see an expert in person for an accurate diagnosis .

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Based on this unattractive profile photo, chin augmentation will make a most positive change to your appearance. You might also benefit by submental liposuction done at the same time. Get it done at your earliest convenient time.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for profile improvements

Chin enhancement provide a good option for you. It would enhance your facial balance and provide you with a more masculine appearance.  In addition, there is poor definition of your neck region. An in-person physical examination would be necessary to determine the most appropriate treatment for your neck - if so desired. 

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant and Profile Concerns

Thank you for your post and photo. You do appear to have a weak chin, along with an anterior position to your hyoid bone and a small amount of submental fat. Assuming that your dental relationships are normal, improvement in your profile appearance can be considered via a silastic chin implant and suction lipectomy performed at the same time. Surgery on the hyoid is not commonly done, unless you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and may benefit from hyoid suspension or resection. Search for an experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon who can evaluate you in person and recommend the appropriate size and style of chin implant which could work the best. Silastic implants are made in various sizes and shapes and selection of the best type requires expertise in chin implant surgery. Please discuss this in detail with your chosen physician. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant Candidate with Neck Liposuction

Hello,Yes, you appear to be a candidate for chin implant (based solely on this photo).  Chin implant will add projection to the chin moving it forward.  Depending on the style of implant chosen, it will also add some degree of width tapering out to the sides.  Your lack of projection is quite pronounced and a chin implant will not be able to give you a "text book" position, but a dramatic improvement is to be expected.  I would also suggest you consider having your neck evaluated for fat removal.  This will give the illusion of a more projected chin even without a chin implant.  The combination of the two procedures would likely give you the best result.  A visit to an orthodontist may be in order as well.  Patients with chins like yours sometimes would benefit from re-aligning the entire jaw and teeth utilizing orthodontics and orthognathic surgery.  This is way more extensive but sometimes is the best approach if you have issues with your occlusion (how your teeth fit together) and appearance.Regards,Dr. A

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures over the past 30 years using dermal fillers, liposuction, facial implants (cheek, chin) and facelifts.  From the photos, your chin is quite weak as are the mandibular angles and front portions of the cheeks.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  This combines to create an elongated oval shaped face.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.
  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.