I have puffy nipples and it shows through my shirt. I have a nice body but I don't like my nipples

I have puffy nipples and it shows thro shirt i have a nice body but i dont like my nipples Is there no way? What has caused this? I have this since i was 14 years old im 18 fit and healthy and been going gym for 2 years please help as i dont want a surgery

Doctor Answers 8

Treating Puffy Nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
#PuffyNipple surgery generally takes only an hour or two, and the recovery time is short; sometimes less than a week. There is minimal scarring and the success rate is excellent. Therefore, patients who suffer from "Puffy Nipples", and who view it as an unaesthetic and unpleasant condition, may desire surgical intervention to correct the "puffy nipple" condition. 


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It sounds like you are certainly describing gynecomastia, which quite frequently, has an onset in young men of 13 or 14 years old. In some cases, it disappears by about 19 years old. If yours has been stable over that period, you can consider having it surgically fixed by a board-certified plastic surgeon. There are multiple causes of gynecomastia, but most commonly, is that your breast tissue is just more sensitive to normal circulating hormones.

Puffy nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
ow should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you may have a  mild case of Gynecomastia however an in-person exam with a board certified Plastic Surgeon will be the best way to find out. 

An excess growth of breast tissue and herniated/puffy areolas cannot be reduced with weight/fat loss. Gynecomastia affects all shapes and sizes of men- slim ones as well. The surgical techniques used to address this can be quite simple and relatively minor.

I recommend that you book your in-person consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who specialises in this procedure and find out about your options.

All the best

Gynecomastia Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi kalal123,
Thanks for the post. It sounds as if you are describing gynecomastia that presented during puberty, otherwise known as physiologic gynecomastia. Refer to the link below for more information on this.
As for the treatment, if it hasn't improved over three years it is unlikely to improve without surgery. I recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who specialized in this surgery. I often perform Skype consults as a first step for patients who are looking to travel for this surgery.

Dr. Dadvand


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sorry about your situation but this is an extremely common story.  Unfortunately there is no method of treating this I am aware of other than surgery. If it bothers you enough consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon. The entire procedure can be performed through a tiny almost invisible spot inside your armpit. Hope this is of some help.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and from your description it sounds like you may have gynecomastia.  So see some experts and if it is have it excised.

Dr. Corbin

What Can be Done for Puffy Nipples

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is not unusual to develop puffy nipples during puberty. For most young men it will go away on its own but for some it becomes permanent if it hasn't resolved within two years. Unfortunately yours sounds permanent and the only way to reduce them is by surgery. If you choose to go this route, be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia. Good luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.