Do I have gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia? (Photo)

I've noticed my nipples are rather large. One of them is also slightly bigger than the other. I did some research and I think it might by gynecomastia or maybe just genetics. It would be very helpful if someone may identify if it is or not. I've been exercising a lot, do you think this will be a problem once I reach 10 percent bodyfat? Thanks in advance!

Doctor Answers 11

Who is a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person, is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Pseudogynocomastia or gymecomastia? how to tell and what to do

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Pseudogynocomastia is when men have so much fat, they get breasts. This is not you, obviously, as you are under 15% body fat.  If you DO have pseudogynecomastia, life is good... you can suction that fat off or just plain lose weight. If you have REAL gynecomastia, aka breast tissue in your man boobs, then that tissue will need to be removed. The best bet here is VASER ultrasound followed by direct excision of the breast tissue. Incisions for a case like yours are at the edge of the areolae, and under the armpits. I recommend against straight excision only as it can leave lumpy edges and divots. 

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You probably have a component of gynecomastia, and surgery would improve this.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Beverly Hills, CA


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. It looks like you may have a mild case of Gynecomastia and asymmetry, however an in-person exam with a board certified Plastic Surgeon will be the best way to find out.

An excess growth of breast tissue cannot be reduced with weight/fat loss. Gynecomastia affects all shapes and sizes of men- slim ones as well. The surgical techniques used to address this can include excision of glandular tissue and liposuction. I recommend that you book your in-person consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who specialises in this procedure and find out about your options.

All the best

Do I have gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction may also be helpful.
 If your chest wall is still of concern, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.
You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best

Do I have gynecomastia or pseudogynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
doesnt make a difference!
the treatment is liposuction and gland excision
make sure you find a good surgeon and get your problem corrected
best of luck

You are a great candidate for surgery. chose the right PS

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
How should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?. Also, revision surgery non experience surgeon tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 89 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
you are demonstrating gynecomastia which is a condition wherein your breasts have too much fat and breast gland tissue, the latter located under your nipple areola and termed discoid. This is totally treatable using a combination of liposuction and direct excision of the more fibrous discoid tissue. Please see examples below on what you can expect following male breast reduction surgery.

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 106 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It appears from your pictures that you have true gynecomastia.  If so, this represents glandular tissue and probably will change very little with exercise or weight changes.  It is not usually a serious medical condition, but if you are concerned about the appearance I would recommend that you seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD
Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the photos and the question and YES you do appear to have gynecomastia which will probably persist even with weight loss.  So see some experts in your area and be evaluated

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.