I had lipo/gland excision & still have gyno 5 after months. Doc says it's scar tissue & I need a shot. Is it normal?

The photos provided here are pre op photos, I do now have any post op photos. I am 29, relatively fit with a body fat percentage of 15% max. Dr. Blau was my surgeon, a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in gyno surgeries.

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Lipo and gland excision

Dear networker,

It is very common to have thickened tissue and swelling even 5 months after gynecomastia liposuction gland excision. If there is internal scar tissue and swelling then injection of a dilute steroid such as Kenalog or Triamcinolone 5 or 10 will improve and soften the breast tissue and you need to allow the appropriate time between surgery and evaluation of enhancement generally by 12 months. Interglandular steroid injections through this time can help resolve swelling and edema as well as the use of foam pads under a support garment at night.

Ultimately, enhancement surgery with the use of energy assisted lipo such as BodyTite and SmartLipo is the simplest way to restore balance, contour and shape.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Scar tissue after gynecomastia

It is difficult giving you an answer without your post op pictures. Yes, scar tissue can cause some protrusion and injecting a steroid helps , if in fact that's what your Dr. is going to do.

Chad Robbins, MD

It is difficult to say without examining you or at least comparing post-op photos to the props.  Best of luck.

Persistent gynecomastia after surgery

There are several reasons why you may still have fullness in your chest after surgery.  On occasion, not enough tissue was taken out at the original surgery.  This is fairly easy to correct, sometimes with liposuction, sometimes with additional excision, and is better than an overcorrection which can be hard to fix.  In other patients, scar tissue can build up underneath the nipple after surgery.  A steroid injection can help this tissue soften and shrink, but the scar may need to be surgically removed if this doesn't work.  Finally, some patients will have a re-growth of breast gland after surgery.  Even though most of the gland is removed, there is a disk of tissue left under the nipple.  I have only seen this in body builders who continue to take anabolic steroids after surgery, so it appears to be the least likely cause for you.

You should discuss your concerns with Dr. Blau.  Even the most talented of surgeons occasionally have to revise their work.  We all want our patients to be happy, so I would think he will work hard to get you the result you want.