Flick lift? (Photo)

I am 39 years old but already have jowls. I have consulted with a qualified and respected plastic surgeon who advises that the best option would be what is known as a flick lift under local anaesthetic. The procedure will take about 3 hours. I questioned whether this would address the smas layer as well as skin and it does. I just really wanted to hear some reviews and hear about recovery time but I'm unable to find anything under this name. Any further information would be appreciated

Facelift candidate

Ultimately, a surgical face lift provides the best contouring for someone with moderate or severe laxity. This procedure could include tightening your underlying musculature to give you a better contour and also removing the excess skin laxity. Together this allows for a much better face and neck contour. In some instances, some liposuction is also beneficial to reduce the submental fullness. This would be the most impactful to address the jowls in the photos.  I am not familiar with the term 'flick' lift so it is difficult to assess what is being addressed during the procedure.

However, there are effective non-surgical options for you. I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the face. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

Dermal fillers may also give you more cheek (mid face) definition and soften the jowls to a lesser degree than surgery, but create a nice contrast. Based on the photos, you would also be a great candidate for Sculptra and this may help soften some of the facial volume hollowing in the cheeks and outer face.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who has the portfolio of non-surgical options in your area who can help explain the treatment options for you and the limitations of each option, both surgical and non-surgical.

What is a FlickLift?

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your concern and photos.  I am not familiar with "flick lift", but it is likely some form of a facelift that has been branded for marketing purposes.  Perhaps your surgeon can connect you with one of his patients that have had the procedure to help you with your research.

I hope you find this helpful. Best wishes!

Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Facelift

Thank you for your question. As we age, skin becomes looser. Underlying tissues (fascia and fat pads) also sag. Excess tissue adversely affects the jawline and neck as the development of wrinkles, creases and sagging becomes more visible. A facelift is designed to remove excess skin and reposition deeper tissues for a smoother, firmer contour. The procedure targets the mid and lower thirds of the face (a brow lift and eyelid lift target the upper third). A dramatic improvement can be achieved in smoothing away the creases and sagging tissues that exist in the areas of your cheeks, around the mouth, along the jawline (jowls) and neck. If you are concerned about how aging has affected any of these areas, then a facelift may be right for you.

A good facelift candidate will have :

• Realistic expectations
  • The goal of looking like yourself, but younger
  • Relatively good health, both physically and psychologically
  • A stable and healthy weight
  • No underlying health conditions that may make surgery risky
  • A good understanding of the facelift procedure, as well as its related risks
  • The ability to stop smoking for a few weeks before and after surgery, to minimize complications with healing

I recommend that you contact a board certified Plastic Surgeon who's before and after photos appeal to you, then set up a consultation to discuss your options for rejuvenation.

All the best. 

Facelift

I would recommend a mini facelift with a high SMAS elevation technique to move the cheek soft tissues up to your malar eminence.  This would correct your deep nasolabial folds and jowls as well as neck laxity without needing to dissect into the neck, making for a quicker recovery.  Maybe you can ask about more details regarding this "flick" lift. 

Flick lift

It's not uncommon for surgeons to invent a cute and catchy name for an operation that everyone else knows as a facelift.  There's nothing wrong with it, but it makes it hard of course for you to find information.  Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon about how this applies to you, and whether they have any special concerns in your case.

Jowls! How to improve?

The lower cheek tissue that begins to descend with aging + gravity we refer to as 'jowls'. This is usually not fat as some believe. We see this more in some families than others but aging is indeed a big factor. 'Facelift' surgery can indeed help this but so can injectable fillers by softening the valley near the jowl.  Or a combination of both surgery + fillers is also used. Fillers require no real downtime but are not as aggressive as surgery of course. It can be helpful to consult with an experienced surgeon who performs both. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Having a 'flick lift'

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• Your surgeon seems to have invented a name for a face lift.
  • If it is done in 3 hours under local anesthesia, it is probably a MACS lift -
  • This is a suture suspension face lift popular in Europe.
  • Your photo suggests you may have considerable descent to facial tissues -
  • A standard face lift, possibly with a mid-face lift or cheek implant might be a better approach.
  • Since this surgeon is describing something you can't research - I suggest a second opinion from another qualified and respected surgeon before booking surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Flick lift

I don't know what your doctor means by a "flick lift". You may want to get a better understanding of the details of the surgery before committing. I can see what you are concerned about from the photo on the right. The areas that are showing some laxity in the skin and soft tissue are located towards the center of the face (nasolabial fold and around the mouth). A face lift can address these areas but at your young age I think you can get good results with fillers mainly in the cheeks and the jaw line. 

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

Flick lift? what is the medical term for that?

Patients interested in knowing more about certain surgical procedure on the face should know the common layman's name or the medical term. "Flick lift" is not a medical term or common layman's name, but rather seems to be a marketing name.

John Mesa, MD

Flick lift?

I tried to find something on google about this and couldn't.  Thus it is hard to discuss its merits or lack of merits.  With that said your NLF and jowls look a lot worse on your front on photo because the image is taken from below and with overhead lighting.  The resulting shadows make those look more profound than they are.  With that said you may benefit from some facial procedure, just hard to tell with the limited photos available.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD