When can you exercise after rhinoplasty?

I'm a 25 yr old female with a chronic inflammatory back condition so I have to exercise everyday to keep flexible. What kind of exercise can I do during the process of healing after rhinoplasty? How long do I need to wait until I can resume my normal daily exercise routine which includes: circuit training, HIIT (high intensity interval training), Metabolic Effect (rest based work out), Pump Fx (weight training) and running?

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question, catlady90. I typically advise for 6-8 weeks for the intense training you list herein and 4-6 weeks for less intense training. It is important that you be very careful not to bump your nose doing anything. Even the slight pressure of glasses on your nose during the first few months of your post-op recovery has the potential to change the outcome of your Rhinoplasty procedure.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after rhinoplasty?

Hi Catlady,
This is a pretty common question after any surgery.I suggest to my patients not to do any exercies that rushes blood to your head and neck like banding on your back with head down position for 21 days after surgery.
I hope this helps

It Varies by Exercise

I allow my patients to do light exercises like stretching and walking beginning the day after surgery, and intense workouts after the splint comes off. You need to be careful about contact sports like volleyball for 6 weeks.

Exercise Post Rhinoplasty

At a minimum, you should wait at least 3-4 weeks, but always consult with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performed your rhinoplasty surgery. While you are healing an elevated heart rate will increase blood flow and can possibly lead to excess swelling, bruising, and even bleeding. Limit yourself to gentle walking for the time being and keep your pulse below 100 for the first 3 weeks post-op.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Exercise after rhinoplasty

It very much depends on the extent of the surgery and, in particular, whether you have had any surgery to your septum, but I advise most routine rhinoplasty patients that they can begin gentle exercise after 4 weeks and increase the intensity at 6-8 weeks. If your nose feels 'heavy' at any stage, you should back off and build up slowly. Your surgeon should be able to advise you more accurately, based on the extent of your surgery. Good luck.

James Murphy, FRCS(Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Excersise after Rhinoplasty

Hi,

After 6-8 weeks seems to be adequate time to resume 
full activity, although even after months post surgery one can get swelling of the nose after excersise, which is reversible!
Most fractured nasal bones are pretty solid as early as 3 weeks in order to be manipulated in the old position!!

best wishes

Mr J Tahery 
Chester
UK

Jawed Tahery, FRCS
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon