Cheek filler or Resylane, Juvederm to help eye bags ?? (photos)

I went to a surgeon today and he told me that I don't need restalyne tear trough filler and that my eye bags can be made better by adding volume to my cheeks ??? When I've looked at reviews resylane works great will cheek fillers really work on my eyebags ??

Fillers can help slight eye bags, but in bigger eye bags on a thinner face, surgical removal is the more effective option

Thank you for your question. You submitted several very good photos and state you saw a surgeon about possibly using Restylane for your under eye bags but the surgeon recommended you get filler in your cheeks to treat the under eye bags, so you ask if that would be beneficial for you.

I can certainly assist you with this question. I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I have been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. Under eye bags are probably the most popular procedure or issue in our practice, and there are more options to resolve them than there were 10-20 years ago.

First, some guidance in understanding why you have under eye bags. Under eye bags are generally a genetic trait that often runs in families, which can occur as young as in the teen years. I have patients who have come to me who said, whether they are in their 30s or older, that they’ve always had bags under their eyes and they progressively got worse. What their under bags represent are fat pockets that pushed forward and created these bulges. Looking at your photo, you may be asking yourself, you have a thin face, so why do you have fat around your eyes? It’s unfortunately a reality of genetics - some people will have fat prolapse that creates this bulge under the eyes that creates a perception of looking tired.

When hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane were first introduced, the concept of helping people soften the appearance of under eye bags gained momentum, particularly among non-surgeons. The challenge is how much filler can you really apply before it makes things worse, which is an element of your question. You mentioned a filler like Restylane, but from my experience and what I see in your photo, I don’t think Restylane would be effective.  If Restylane was used to fill the tear trough, well how much volume can you place before it actually adds to the volume of the under eye bags? I see patients from around the world who come to me after having injectable fillers, and it is my job to get rid of the filler so we can see their real anatomy. And that brings me to the next issue.

With due respect to your doctor, my perception is, in order to hide those bags it would take a fair amount of cheek volume to blend with the under eye bags. Respectfully again, this may be a look you would be happy with. The nice thing about injectable hyaluronic acid fillers is they are temporary and reversible. However, when I look at a thin face like yours, I ask myself if the fairly significant volume added to that area will look natural? Or does it make you look swollen?  I think in your situation, it’s more likely you would look swollen.

I review photos with patients in a way to help them understand that although their focus may be the under eye bags, very often they also have a relevant amount of hollowness in the adjacent eyelid-to-cheek junction. When I address under eye bags in a situation like yours, I would typically do a transconjunctival blepharoplasty where I would actually reduce and sculpt the fat from the inside of the eyelid so the fat is no longer herniated or pushing forward. Once that’s done, you may actually expose some anatomy that would benefit from some volume enhancement.

It is a very subjective issue. Often people have the bags removed and they are happy because they no longer have bags and they’re done. Other times, the reduction of the under eye bags reveals a little of the rim of the bone, especially for a person who is very thin, so a strategy has to be applied to soften or improve that appearance. I would argue you would use much less injectable filler to soften that area than you would to augment it and keep the bags. I always explain it’s kind of a paradox - you’re reducing volume in one place while supplementing volume in another.

I think you should consider meeting with other doctors about the option of surgical intervention of the under eye bags. This is a recommendation based on the absence of a physical exam, but by looking at your photos, I am fairly confident that my recommendation to reduce the fat pockets and then consider fillers and other options to enhance this area if appropriate. There’s always a change in the architecture and perspective once a more definitive procedure is done. Learn more about your options and see what is comfortable for you, then move forward. I hope that helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cheek filler or tear trough filler?

In your photos you appear to have protruding under-eye fat pads and relative tear trough hollowing and relatively flat cheeks. The answer to your questions depends on how your  doctor defines tear trough and cheeks. Your shadows are mostly in your tear troughs but the upper and mid cheek are continuous with this area.  If you've ruled out surgery to reduce the fat pads, you would benefit from filler in the tear trough (Restylane works well here) and in the upper cheek.  Both will help to smooth the transition from the under-eye bags to the cheeks.

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Restylane or cheek fillers?

Thank you for asking about your lower lid bags.
  • The best correction for you is a lower lid blepharoplasty which will give you permanent improvement.
  • Filler on your cheeks will lift the tissues and enhance your looks if you don't want surgery.
  • Restylane is the best lower lid filler - but injections here have unpredictable results, are temporary and risky.
  • Tear troughs are in fact totally normal - they can be seen in children less than a year old.
  • I suggest you consider having cheek filler or Restylane - depending on your preference.
  • And if you don't like the result, have surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Cheek filler or Resylane, Juvederm to help eye bags ??

Currently, the best treatment for undereye "bags" or protruding fat pads is surgical removal. Injecting filler in the tear troughs or cheeks may create fullness around those fat pads, causing an illusion that camouflages them temporarily. However, this is not a solution-just an illusion. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Restylane is the filler of choice for eyebags

Thank you for sharing your question. For mild bags, Restylane injection is a good treatment option. The tear troughs can be filled in order to hide the shadows created by the bags. See a specialist in this delicate area.  Good luck,

Lower eyelid bags treatment options

Thank you for the question and the photos. Basically, there are two options in patients with your situation: 1) fillers to camouflage the area; or 2) removal/repositioning of a small amount of fat. The former is non-surgical and quick with very little downtime; hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Belotero or Restylane are used to camouflage the eyelid bag by evening out the contour and reducing shadow. If needed, a thicker filler such as Voluma or Radiesse can be used in the cheek to "support" the area. The latter option is surgical -- but in young patients with minimal skin excess, the recovery is generally quick. For many patients, a small amount of the excess fat can be removed or repositioned through an incision inside the eyelid. No external scars are made. Best of luck moving forward!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane

Restylane would work for that area.  The cheek would improve with Voluma.  The eyebags can be permanently removed scar free with transconjuncticval lower lid surgery.  All these procedures are experience dependant and not all surgeons possess same skills and capabilities, knowledge of anatomy and aesthetic judgement.  Thanks for excellent question

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Cheek fillers or Restylane ,Juvederm for eye bags

Thanks for sending the photos .The multiple views are helpful. It appears that the fat in your lower lids are prominent ,causing  "bags" with a  hollow area below them, at the junction with your cheeks.  Restylane, a facial filler placed just inferior to this fat,will efface this hollow between the eyelid fat and the cheek to give a smoother transition. You will receive an excellent result if done by an experienced  physician.  Restylane will last 6-12 months.

Edward H. Bedrossian, Jr., MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment to help eye bags

You appear to have some protruding fat causing the bags under your eyes.  In general, this can be improved with lower eyelid surgery or a filler.  I prefer using Restylane to this area for my patients.  The filler can be placed just under the bags to help camouflage them but the result is fairly temporary.  In some cases, the result can last a year or so with Restylane.  The surgical result would be much longer lasting.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Elliot M. Heller, MD