How Long to Wait Before Neck Lift Revision?

I had a neck lift 3 weeks ago and under my chin is more wrinkled then before and I have hard lumps that I can see and feel. I had lipo and the muscle repaired, It's not right I can tell and every time I look in the mirror I hate what I see I work in a salon. I just want it fixed, how long of a wait?

Hold the neck revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The swelling and look that you are having 3 weeks after surgery is very common. It can take 6 months for the lumps and bumps to improve. Massaging the area can help to speed up the process a little more. Keep the lines of communication open with your surgeon and tell him what worries you.

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Long to Wait Before Neck Lift Revision

I am sorry to read of your concern. It may be too soon to determine if a revision is necessary. Though recovery from a surgical #necklift varies from person to person, patients are generally presentable within three weeks from surgery. Generally, it will take approximately 7-10 days for the early healing in which many patients feel comfortable being in public at this stage. Most #bruising is low on the neck and may easily be covered by clothing. Also, wearing a #compression garment may be suggested the first week and then nightly for up to six weeks.

The #incision scars from a necklift can typically be hidden well and are not located within eye level to be immediately noticed. These #scars “mature” within six to twelve months from the surgery date. The term mature implies they will soften and fade away. During this time, the rejuvenating effects of the necklift will become most obvious and the neck feels the most normal (ex. little discomfort, soft, normal sensation, no more post-op firmness). Following this stage, the true restorative effects of your necklift result will be apparent. 

If during your healing, you have any concerns, it is suggested to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

After the neck lifting operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Lumps and swelling should resolve over time

It’s not unusual to have swelling, lumps and bumps this early on after surgery. I would continue to observe and let your surgeon know your concerns. With your surgeon’s permission, you can gently massage under the chin to help soften the lumps, but they generally resolve on their own. Make sure that you let your surgeon that you are concerned about this, so that he/she may advise you accordingly. Good luck!

Sarmela Sunder, MD

Lumpiness after neck liposuction

There can often be some lumpy-bumpy changes soon after liposuction as part of the healing process there is often some uneven swelling that settles down with time. In the majority of people the unevenness improves over a period of weeks although it may take as long as 6-months. In the period soon after surgery, MLD, manual lymphatic drainage by a professionally trained specialist may be beneficial in helping the process.

The earliest time to consider any further surgery is 6 to 12 months after surgery, although assessing the healing after the surgery will give information on how the area is healing. Although all of us like to get to the final endpoint faster, early intervention with further surgery is generally not recommended as this can lead to further lumpy bumpy changes. The body will naturally heal bumpy areas and early intervention will not necessarily improve the final result.

Neck Lift Revision

Generally speaking, revisions to plastic surgery procedures should take place 12 months from the date of the initial procedure.  While this may differ from patient to patient, 12 months allows for lumps and bumps to improve significantly.  It is important that you maintain regular communication with your surgeon's office and remain compliant with post op appointments and instructions.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift revision

Being that you are only three weeks post-ooperative from a neck lift, ytou have to give it time to heal. The swelling wil lgo down and perhaps the lumpiness as well.

Wait at least 6 months before a neck lift revision.

Most plastic surgeons will have somewhat variable opinion as to when to provide for a revision or touch-up type procedure after facelift or neck lift surgery.  As a general rule the longer the time-period the greater the ease of a revision surgery can be performed technically and likely the better the result.  Many physicians will recommend a one-year wait period and this is sound advice.  But there is likely a number of physicians who will perform revision procedures earlier, such as in the six month range.  Personally I feel that six months is satisfactory for most instances, although I will take on a case by case basis.  Simple revisions or touch-ups I think can be performed at six months but more complex revision procedures should wait to at least a year time period.

David Q. Santos, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift problems

Hardness, uneveness can occur for a long time(months) after any procedure. I would be very cautious about doing anything else at the moment and probably recommend dilute kenalog injections to accelerate the healing process.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Consider ultrasound along with massage and lymphatic drainage only

This is a normal appearance after necklift procedures and it does resolve more quickly with massage, lymphatic drainage and gentle ultrasound treatment. Allow up to 6 months for final results and do not have revision surgery too soon as this may prolong the swelling and delay the normal healing process. Be patient and follow up with your surgeon.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon