Umbilicoplasty for a Male?

I'm a guy and the thought of this has just recently crossed my mind. It's just something I'm more self-conscious of than anything. Can an umbilicoplasty fix my belly button?

Doctor Answers 9

Umbilicoplasty for a Male?

Yes it can be done, but as others note, you may have an umbilical hernia.  I recommend seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for evaluation and then a proper plan can be put in place for you..  Best wishes.

For more information, please go to my website at:

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Umbilicoplasty or belly button repair for "outie"

An "outie" can be caused by redundant skin, or it can be an umbilical hernia.

In either event, an umbilicoplasty would likely be able to make the belly button protrude less.

If there is a hernia, I do not favor the umbilical transsection and mesh placement so often used by general surgeons, but rather a circum-umbilical incision (around the belly button), with direct repair of the hernia.

Brent Moelleken, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 178 reviews

Repair of belly button hernias. Los Angeles

I repair umbilical hernias with a hybrid 'figure of eight' approach that minimizes scarring around the skin. Our office specializes in belly button revision surgery.

Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews


Yes, there is something that can be done, but as the other plastic surgeons have noted here you need to see a surgeon to make sure that there is no umbilical hernia. If there is then the hernia would need to be addressed and at the same surgery, the umbilicoplasty can be performed.

To make it easier, I would find a plastic surgeon that is also a general surgeon who would be able to perform both the above procedures.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 79 reviews


What you may actually be dealing with is an umbilcala hernia.  An exam will be neede for diagnosis.  In any event, if a hernia is present, repair will correct the deformity, if  a hernia is not present, a simple cosmetic procedure should take care of it.

Scott E. Kasden, MD, FACS
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 106 reviews

Umbilicoplasty for a male

Although this is correctable, we first need to make sure there is no UNDERLYING PROCESS that my be causing the "semi-outie" umbilicus you are concerned with. Most board certified plastic surgeon trained either partially or completely in General Surgery and wound be able to examine and tell you if you have an umbilical hernia. Such a hernia can be readily fixed and an umbilcoplasty can be done at the same time as a joint procedure by a general surgeon with a plastic surgeon.

Good Luck.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

You may have a hernia

Hard to tell exactly what is going on there but you need to see a plastic surgeon to getan assessment. If there is a hernia there he may be able to fix it or send you to a general surgeon who can fix it. If there is no hernis he can tell you what can be done to improve it.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Umbilicoplasty for an "outie" belly button

Absolutely. However, you must first determine if you have an umbilical hernia which is one of the most common reasons for an "outie" belly button. If this is the case, you may need your hernia fixed (herniorrhaphy). If not, a simple umbilicoplasty can be performed.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 82 reviews


Without an exam it's somewhat tough to tell but it looks like you have an umbilical hernia.  Have a general surgeon look at it.  I suspect a general surgeon can help you with your problem.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.