Will removing the extra skin on my upper eyelids make my eyebrows droop more? (photos)

I'm a 50 yr old woman, and I will be getting the bags and extra skin from my lower eyelids removed in the very near future. I am also considering removing the extra skin on my upper eyelids. I've done some research, and from what I understand, if your hooding is caused by eyebrows dropping, that they could drop more by removing the excess skin. Is that true? I can't afford browlift AND eyelid surgery. I can do eyelids only. Your thoughts, kind Doctors?

Blepharoplasty and brow lift

You are absolutely correct - removing the upper eyelid fold will allow the frontalis muscle (forehead) to relax. Consequently the brows will appear lower, and the droop of the brows may be substantial. To find out how this will look, relax your forehead completely by looking down, stabilize the forehead with your fingers, and then look in the mirror. Your brows are likely to be below the orbital rims. Be sure that your surgeon discusses all types of brow lifts - even the direct lift which can heal quite nicely and may be done with great cosmetic results. The down side is the incision does show for months while you are healing because the brow cilia are sparse and fair. An advantage of a well-done direct lift is that it may be done in an office setting and is therefore less expensive. Tissue is removed with this technique, so the brows tend not to come back down. If the incision line shows after healing - and this is likely if you have sparse cilia - you may cover this with makeup. Micropigmentation is a great way to add a permanent makeup effect and disguise the incision line if it shows after healing. If you decide to go with an endoscopic technique, the scope of the dissection is much greater, but the incisions will be back behind the hairline where they don't show. Each technique has advantages and disadvantages. When cost is an issue, but you would like to have everything done at one time for one recovery, you might consider applying for CareCredit or similar company to extend the payments over time.There are different plans that allow you to extend your cost over 6 months to 4 years. Best wishes with your decision and your surgery!

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and eyebrow surgery

The photographs demonstrate adequate brow height, with significant hooded upper eyelid skin for which  upper eyelid surgery can improve.  When performing an upper blepharoplasty procedure, the eyebrows can drop down 1-2 mm which is very insignificant. For many examples of blepharoplasty,  please see the video and the link below

Browlift for sagging lids and brows.

You are correct. A Browlift is what you need to raise your brows and eliminate the excess skin. If u get an upper blepharoplasty you will still look old and tired. An endoscopic Browlift will RAISE your hairline. An Irregular Trichophytic Browlift can raise your brows and lower your hairline without a noticeable scar. Make sure your surgeon can show you photos of the hairline and the scar should not be seen. The downsides of this are not "too great" if you see a surgeon who does several of these per week!

Upper blepharoplasty can be associated with settling of the eyebrows.

This can be profound or subtle.  No one can predict this for you.  However, if you have to choose one procedure, give how heavy your foreheads are, an endoscopic forehead lift could be a very good choice. The key with the forehead lift is that less is more.  Too much lift can definitely give you a surprised look.  Do not let anyone talk you into an open forehead lift.  The downsides are just too great.

Brow lift versus eyelid surgery

Hello Texasbelle,
Your eyebrows do appear to be on the lower side.  This is contributing to the heaviness above your eyes.  Looking at your lower eyelids there is also likely a component of extra skin in your upper eyelids, in addition to the low eyebrows.  The best option really depends on what your in person exam looks like since you cannot do both procedures.  The brow lift will certainly improve the brow position and help remove some of the fullness of your upper eyes.  If there is also a component of excess skin then that could be done as well without pulling the brows down further.  If there is no excess skin (which I doubt) and you did an eyelid surgery then it would simply pull the brow down further (I don't think this would be your case).  
I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation.  This way you can be evaluated and be provided with a good idea of what each procedure would be able to accomplish alone.  This way you can help decide which you would prefer to have done.
I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow Lift vs. upper Lid Skib Removal

congratulations!!! You are absolutely right. You demonstrate significant sagging of the brows which largely accentuate any upper lid skin. This results in the frontalis muscle of the forehead contracting forcefully creating deep transverse creases across the forehead. The right answer is to do a Brow Lift alone or with removal of the excess upper kid skin remaining after the brows are repositioned in their rightful place. If you only remove some upper lid skin, the forehead muscles will relax further and recreate the tired hooded eye look you are trying to correct. 
Dr. Peter A. AldeaMemphis, TN