Swelling after Gynecomastia surgery.

Hi I hade a Gynecomastia surgery 1 week ago and I am kinda happy with the result my chests got better like 65% but there's still puffy and swelling on the side my doctor said it will get flatter with time so my question is what's swelling and What causes it and is it really gona get more flat with time or Is just something doctors say ?

Healing from Your Gynecomastia Surgery

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.
The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.
Additionally, your doctor may place tape or foam over the incisions, which can be removed on day 3 or 4, before your first post-op appointment.
If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling after gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question.  At 1 week after gynecomastia surgery you will still see some swelling.  The swelling may take several weeks or a couple of months to completely go away.  Wearing your compression garment after surgery as instructed by your plastic surgeon will aid in reducing the swelling.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Swelling after Gynecomastia surgery.

Congratulations on having undergone the gynecomastia corrective surgery.  Yes, some swelling is normal at this stage;  complete resolution may take a few more weeks/months.  Always best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia surgery, male breast surgery, liposuction , Post operative swelling

Thank you for the query. Any surgical procedure will cause an inflammatory reaction and this results in tissue swelling or edema. This often takes time to settle and therefore a period of three months is considered  a minimal waiting period to decide though sometimes these things at certain sites like the nose take much longer. Also one can use medications to reduce edema as well as use a pressure garment to achieve adequate contour correction if liposuction has been performed. Swelling or edema postoperatively is similar to the reaction that you see when you have had a blunt trauma to some site of the body and suddenly you notice swelling over it. Best wishes,Dr Alexander

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Gynecomastia surgery

Swelling occurs after any manipulation of tissues or trauma. It can take up to 12 months for complete resolution of the swelling. This is more common in areas such as the tip of the nose, the ears, and finger tips. I recommend to wait at least 3 months prior to making any judgement regarding the result. At which point you can tell if a revision is necessary.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon