I have experienced bruising in the groin several days after gynecomastia surgery. Is this anything to be concerned about?(photo)

Had gynecomastia surgery 7 days ago. Recovery is going well and have been wearing compression 24/7. On about day 5 post-op there started to be bruising appearing on the left side of my groin and I took this pic. Over the last 2 days the bruising has increased in size (9cm x 6cm now) and now some bruising has appeared at the same spot on my right side and a little bit on the scrotum. This is not swollen or painful. I assume fluid has just made its way down there, but is this concerning? Thx!

Bruising in the Groin Area

BRUISING AND SWELLING: Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

NUMBNESS: It is normal to experience numbness around the areola and chest. As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding.

LUMPINESS: As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.

ACTIVITIES: If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause pain. Wait at least 4 weeks to begin aerobic exercise.

As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first several days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.

While it is normal to have bruising at intervals for months after surgery, you may want to have the bruises in your groin area examined by your plastic surgeon or physician unless, of course, there was some sort of injection, anesthesia or other needle used in that area for your procedure. In that case you should give it a little time to heal.

Bruising after gynecomastia surgery

The bruising will probably not amount to anything significant, but that is a very long way for blood to trickle down if the only area of surgery was your chest.  I would suggest visiting or calling your plastic surgeon to get his or her opinion on the matter.  It's possible that something else (your garment, a strap from the operating table, etc) may be responsible for the new bruising, and your surgeon would be the best one to sort this out.  

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon