Will my hair be shaved off before I get an FUT transplant?

I'm thinking of getting another hair transplant after it's been a year since my first to add more density but my question is will the hair transplanted from the first surgery do they have to shave it off before i get my second transplant, or is it possible to transplant grafts while there is existing hairs. btw i will be getting the strip method. thank you..

If you are having surgery using the strip harvest method, you do not have to shave your head.

If you are having surgery using the strip harvest method, you do not have to shave your head.  Some doctors may require it but it is not mandatory.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUT transplant

It is very difficult to comment without seeing the photographs of the recipient area. If there is sufficient space in between the hair follicles then they can be implanted in between the previously transplanted hair just like we do in the females depending upon the experience of the surgeon.

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shave head for FUT hair transplant?

It is certainly not necessary to shave the recipient area for a hair transplant. The new grafts will simply be placed among the existing hairs from the first procedure. Depending upon a number of factors, you may experience some temporary shedding of that existing hair following surgery; if you do, it will grow back about the same time the newly transplanted hair begins to grow.

I hope this has been helpful--
Dr. Ballon

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shaving of the hair during transplant

There is no need to shave the head during an FUT procedure.  You really only ever need to shave the area of harvest during an FUE procedure.  Granted if you are doing a large area harvest with FUE, sometimes it just looks better to have a fully shaved head and let everything grow in together at the same rate.  That being said, for a strip there is no need to shave your head. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shaving for a hair transplant

We never shave the head for a hair transplant but for an FUE, we will shave the back of the head only. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon