Should I stop taking finasteride/ Propecia 2 weeks before surgery?

I am going ahead with my 2nd hair transplant. Since my first procedure, I've been recommended to take finasteride/ Propecia - that was 2 years ago. The surgeon now have asked me to stop taking any form of finasteride 2 weeks before the surgery and should only resume taking the drug two weeks after the surgery. His justification is that finasteride have chemical that is bad for the newly planted hair. Is this true?

Greetings

Thank your for your question.  I tell the patients to stop using minoxidil the day before surgery and then can, if they want, pick it up again 2 weeks after the surgery

It is best to follow your doctor's advice over advice from the Internet. Unless the advice is to follow your doctor's advice.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finasteride and minoxidil before surgery

For a hair transplant, I recommend finasteride to prevent hair loss in young men under the age of 40. I tell the patients to stop using minoxidil the day before surgery and then can, if they want, pick it up again 2 weeks after the surgery

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon