I am 23 years old. Can I go for hair transplant? (photos)

I noticed thinning hairs in 2012 since then I am using minoxidil and multi vitamin, mineral capsules as prescribed by dermatologist but it didn't work for me and I am bald now. I heard that only men above 25 years of age can go for hair transplant. But since my scalp is visible now so I wondered if I can go for it at this age.

No Clinical Age Restrictions

Thank you for your question and the photos. There's no medical reason why a person your age wouldn't be able to undergo hair transplantation. Many men start seeing signs of hair loss in their 20s, and if it makes you uncomfortable, then that's really the most important indicator that you should consider the procedure. Please be sure to see qualified physician near you who uses proven techniques. Good luck to you.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Photos cannot assess if you would be a "great" candidate for surgery. Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.

Photos cannot assess if you would be a "great" candidate for surgery. Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person so you can understand the process.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplants for men in their 20's

Hello, Hassan--
While many, if not most, hair transplant surgeons feel that it is generally a mistake for someone under the age of 25 to have a hair transplant, I personally do not have an age cutoff. I am very selective when it comes to men in their early 20's, but I have made exceptions in some cases. In your case, I would strongly suggest that you get started on finasteride; you could use this in combination with the minoxidil, but I would not depend solely on minoxidil to prevent continuing hair loss. You might even experience some thickening of your hair after a few months on finasteride. It is very difficult to say from the small photos I am looking at on my iPad, but you might be one of those young men for whom I would make an exception and consider transplanting the frontal and mid-scalp area (but not the crown). You should discuss this with an experienced and well-respected hair transplant surgeon. I hope this was helpful.

Dr. Ballon

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant at Young Age

Hair loss at a young age is troublesome. You should discuss finasteride with your dermatologist as it will most likely help with your crown balding. I generally do not want to transplant young individuals unless I have a good understanding of their ultimate hair loss. You need a comprehensive approach to actively managing your hair loss and restoration.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

25 and wants a hair transplant

If you have not tried finasteride, I would try it for a year before considering hair transplant surgery. Without it, you may lose what you have in the photos with a complication called shock loss (see video below)

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon