Is it possible to have a tummy tuck done with a birth control implant in my arm called nexplanon?

It is generally safe to have a tummy tuck while having an implantable birth control device

Many of my patients who seek consultation for tummy tuck are on birth control.  Surgery in general, and tummy tuck in particular carries a slightly increased risk off DVT[blood clots in deep veins]. So to minimize this risk I have patients decrease any other risk factors they may carry such as smoking.  Also prior to surgery I have patients get well hydrated, during surgery the patient's receive intermittent pneumatic compression to keep the blood flowing in their lower legs and the patient is also very well hydrated with IV fluids during surgery.  Also it is extremely important for the patient to get up and walk immediately after they return home.  Getting up and walking helps prevent blood clots from forming in the lower extremities.  The last instruction I have patients follow is to loosen the girdle 5 times a day for 5 minutes each time starting from the day of surgery.  Also after surgery I want to make sure that the patient's are feeling well and not nauseated so that the can keep hydrated.  I have found that with these instructions patient tend to do very well.

Implantable birth control devices are usually ok

Great question.  You have probably heard that many plastic surgeons have all our surgery patients stop any estrogen-containing medicines or devices at least two weeks before and two weeks after surgery in order to decrease the already small chance of forming a blood clot (VTE, DVT, PE).  This includes most oral contraceptives and most hormone replacement therapy, but does not include the progesterone-only implantable birth control devices like nexplanon.  Progesterone-only devices should not significantly increase the chances of forming a blood clot after surgery like the estrogen-containing medicines can, so we let our patients keep these devices.  Make sure to let your plastic surgeon know about any and all medicines and supplements you are taking or have in your system so you can have the highest chances of having a great outcome.

Simeon Wall, Jr, MD, FACS
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Birth control

This is an important question. Birth control pills can increase your risk for clotting especially in the first several months. I would discuss this issue at length with your gynecologist and plastic surgeon for specific recommendations tailored to you and the procedures performed.

Birth Control and Surgery

There is nothing about birth control of that sort that would prevent you from safely undergoing plastic surgery. Some of the hormones commonly used in birth control can, theoretically, increase the risk of blood clots and many physicians ask that they be stopped for a few weeks surrounding an operation. They are not an absolute contraindication to surgery, however, and there are strategies that can be implemented to limit your risk in light of the implant.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with implanted birth control

Yes, a tummy tuck can be done with an implanted birth control device.
But the hormones will increase your risk of blood clots.
Discuss your surgical risks with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to plan how to minimize these risks. Best wishes.

If your DVT risk is low as assessed by the Caprini risk assessment, the implant can remain.  Tummy tuck has the highest risk for DVT of the cosmetic plastic surgery procedures performed, but most healthy patients would be low risk. 

The Nexplanon implant should not generally be a problem, but there are some surgeons who like you to stop all estrogen before surgery so you would need to check that specifically with your surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Birth control

Women on birth control medication (including implanted forms like yours)
may have a higher risk of blood clots and pulmonary embolism than those who don't take
medication.  This is a multi-factorial problem and can relate to
your weight and other medical history, as well as how long your
surgery takes and if it's combined with other procedures (like liposuction).
Using birth control does not preclude abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgery, but
it is an important factor to consider and discuss with you before surgery.
Make sure that your surgeon is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery by the ABPS
and that they have hospital privileges to perform the procedure which they are 
recommending for you. Also, choose someone who is experienced and
discusses your options as well as their risks with you.
Lastly, of course, always let your doctor know if you have any other medical problems
and all the medications you currently take  or have been taking recently.

John Strausser, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Implanon would not interfere with your procedure (Tummy tuck) but is always good to inform your Board certified plastic surgeon before your surgery. 

TT

Yes, your birth control device should not interfere with a tummy tuck at all. I would just suggest letting your surgeon know prior to having the procedure done. Good luck!

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon