Am I a good candidate for a stand-alone alarplasty to narrow my wide nostrils, or do I need rhinoplasty? Anything else? (Photo)

I'd prefer to get a complete rhinoplasty to improve my nose overall, but can't afford the procedure with the surgeon I'd choose. I think narrowing my nostrils might provide a satisfying, yet much more affordable result in the meantime, but I'm worried about the effect a stand-alone alarplasty could have on the rest of my nose. Are there any indicators of what flow-on effects I could expect from this procedure by itself? What else could I do to improve my face, aesthetically, otherwise? Thanks

Alarplasty or Full Rhinoplasty

Hi XLumiere,
Based from the photos, you have asymmetric nostril with alarbase thickness, and relatively big tip. Doing alarplasty alone may result to making your tip relatively bigger as compared to your narrowed down alar base, but if it really concerns you, it is still worth doing.

Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us. In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features. Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty balance

thank you for your question and the comprehensive set of photos. I think it would be a mistake to just do an alar base reduction as this would tend to make the tip look wider on front view in particular. It is important to remember that all features of the nose are seen in relation to the other parts and it is these proportions that determine the overall aesthetic balance. An alar base reduction may well be a part of the overall plan provided the tip is narrowed a little as well but if done alone it could make things worse.

Rhinoplasty Goals

Based on your photos, it would be a mistake to simply perform alar base modification.  There is an important relationship between the proportion of the width of the nostrils relative to the width of the tip, and if the nostril width is reduced without addressing the width of the tip - it will appear even more bulbous in comparison.  Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD

#rhinoplasty

Hi.  You should think of an ala base reduction as an adjunct to a normal rhinoplasty and not a stand alone operation. If for example a full rhinoplasty could give you a result of 9/10 then the ala base reduction may take you to a 10/10 ie add a little bit more.  If you have it alone it will add 1/10 and be very subtle.  Having said all of that I do think an ala base reduction would be warranted I your case with the full rhinoplasty however I would caution you about the result to be expected if it is done without the rhinoplasty.
RegardsDamien