Fluid after gynecomastia surgery

I have had a gynecomastia in my left chest about six months ago. And I had fluid in the spot the surgery has been performed, and 2 days later, the doctor took the fluid out by a needle. Then I left the country about a week after. So since then, I have been having fluid in the spot for 6 months and it feels like the gyno came again. So is that a fluid and can be taken or I grew the gyno agin. Hope it's clear. Thank you.

Fluid After Gynecomastia Surgery

A collection of fluid under the skin occurs occasionally during the postoperative period. Aspiration of the fluid with a needle is frequently helpful. Secondary surgery is rarely necessary. Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Seroma

What you have is a seroma.  It is not uncommon to develop this after surgery.  Compression or drainage is the most likely options for a persistent collection.  However, to be sure you should see a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation.

Tim Neavin, MD

Seroma after gynecomastia excision.

When the breast bud is surgically excised the dead space can sometimes harbor a seroma. Generally periodic needle aspiration in the office will resolve the problem. You need to check in with your plastic surgeon.

Seroma After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi aha0003,

From your description, you had a seroma after surgery. Sometimes, even after the fluid is drained by a needle, more fluid can re-accumulate. Fluid under the skin feels different than tissue under the skin (whether it's scar tissue or remnant glandular tissue). You need to be re-evaluated by your surgeon.

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Fluid in the left breast 6 months after gynecomastia excision.

It is possible to have a residual seroma after reduction of male breast but usually it resolves spontaneously, for that reason I would advise you  to go back to your surgeon  and let him examine you. 

Erel Laufer, MD
Dunedin Plastic Surgeon