I had a lipoma removal on my forehead 2 months ago. It still has a little swelling in a side of the incision. Is that normal?

Forehead lipoma

Thank you for your question. It is hard to say without a picture so I would recommend evaluation of your incision. It is not uncommon to have some swelling (about 10% at 2 months). I often follow my patients after surgery to ensure there are no adjunct procedures that may expedite the healing process (steroid injections, laser resurfacing, etc). Best of luck.

Lipoma scars after removal

Lipoma surgery can result in scars. I would begin massage therapy and apply Plato's Scar Serum to the scars twice daily. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Swelling after lipoma removal

This is not uncommon at 2 months following surgery. Massage can speed the resolution of swelling or your surgeon might consider a very mild steroid or you can just give this more time. Best.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately without a photograph it is difficult to offer definite advice, but in most cases swelling in the face from a lipoma excision should have resolved by now, depending on its size.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation to discuss your incision and swelling.  There may be another reason for the irregularity such as suturing technique or a discrete fluid collection such as a seroma.  Hope this helps.

Swelling after lipoma removal.

It is not uncommon to have some swelling for a few months after the removal of a lipoma. If it persists for up to 6 months then it might be left over lipoma or uneven skin fold that would need to be corrected.
Regards
Dr. Janjua

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon