Lipoma scar revision?

I had a small lipoma removed from the shoulder and it ended up with a keloid scar. Can this be revised? Dr has since injected it and now has left a depression . I do not form keloids ever in the past and am wondering if the scar massage I was told to do by the nurse caused this poor result? Keloid is size of thumbprint .

Lipoma to shoulder

Hi - the shoulder is a difficult area to remove lesions from. Scars to this area are unpredictable and often end up stretched or raised. My advice would be to massage the area regularly, the scar will mature over 18 months from the surgery. If you are still concerned after this time see your plastic surgeon for advice.  

Good licj

Hidef scar protocol for keloid

I would recommend our Hidef scar protocol for treatment of your keloid. Injections, lasers, and topical therapy may help. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lipoma scar revision?

Thank you for your question.  Without an in-person examination or full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice but some form of revision may be possible, either with fat grafting to restore the lost fat that cortisone injections caused or complete excision of the scar and depressed tissue in the hopes of appearance improvement.  The shoulder is an area of the body that poor appearing scars are prone to form even in those with no known history of keloiding.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.