HELP! Trauma after lip augmentation! Need treatment advice other than surgery.

I got lip augmentation in May and was happy with the results. But I fainted in Oct, hit my face and damaged my upper lip. It got swollen and bruised. In few weeks a little bump formed inside it. I've been visiting a cosmetic clinic since then trying to dissolve it. I've had 4 treatments already & can see the progress but the lump is still there. I'm scared that it might be the scar tissue wrapped around filler. I don't want to get surgery. How many more treatments do I need for it to disappear?

Lip Injury after Augmentation

Bianca.  So sorry you are having this problem. Depending on the filler used, it should be all gone by the time your scar matures, so should not be a problem. The bump is probably early, immature scar tissue and will settle down over the next few months. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Hard to Tell--Filler or Scar Tissue

This is tough to answer without pictures and needs an in-person evaluation. It can sometimes take a series of hyaluronidase to dissolve lumps from fillers, so it may be that you need an additional injection. However, this could be scar tissue, which can be improved with lasers and microneedling/prp. I recommend following up with your Dr. for a formal evaluation and treatment options. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip trauma after lip filler

The area you can feel now is probably scar tissue and not filler. If you have had 4 treatments to dissolve already, more probably won't be effective. Massaging the area is best to do. I have seen scars in this area soften with time.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Trauma after lip Augmentation

It sounds like there is scar tissue forming from your trauma. In a few months the filler should be dissolved and you can have cortisone injections to reduce whatever scar tissue is there.  I would definitely avoid surgery and consult a board certified dermatologist who is an expert in facial fillers.  Best, Dr. Green

What was your lip filler?

If the lip was filled with hyaluronic acid filler, that material can very effectively removed with the enzyme hyaluronidase.  If your filler was silicone oil, which should never be used in the lip, but unfortunately is still being used by unethical doctors and others.  A second opinion is warranted.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your lip injury.  Unfortunately without a series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice, but the bump that you are most likely feeling is the result of scar tissue formation from your injury rather than the dermal filler.  After 6 months your filler placement has become well incorporated into your tissues and should largely been reabsorbed.  If the bump is scar tissue, gentle massage of the area and time should help it soften and become smaller.  Hang in there, scars will mature for up to a year after injury.